Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using Dot 5 silicone brake fluid? Other than the cost, any disadvantages? I know it doesn't take off paint, and doesn't absorb moisture.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Yes, It also has a tendency to have a lot of entrained air. It gives you a not really firm pedal. It is also not compatible with any of the other fluids so you'll have to do a really good job of flushing the system. It is purple in color so you wont have any trouble seeing when it is flushed out. If you dont flush it out real good it will turn the fluid to a thick ooze. Also it is VERY EXPENSIVE so if you havent priced it you should. It will probably take a couple of quarts to do a good flush job.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 03-19-99).]

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I have had the DOT 5 in my 69 SS for 3 years and the pedal is hard as a rock. I have never had any problems with the DOT 5 and use it in all my cars. We also use DOT 5 here at work in all the forklifts we manufacture, it is required by the U.S. Military.

·
Registered
37 Posts
completed a total resturation on a 69 was affraid with all the new lines, master cylinder, went to dot 5, don't think it was that expensive, pedal is as bob says, and ac/dc, hard as a rock, will never use nothing else, might cost you a little more to flush the other junk out, I also have more confidience in my braking system for some dumb reason!

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Just a follow-up question on this thread--when I install the stainless brake lines on my 70 SS this summer, I plan to fill the system with some DOT5 fluid I bought from Classic Tube. What is the best way to flush the conventional fluid from the system? I want to assure that almost all of the system is DOT5. TIA--

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I blew mine out with compressed air and alcohol then air only. Rebuilt wheel cylinders, calipers. Master cyl was relatively new so I flushed it with DOT 5 several times.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I simply put on the new master cylinder and filled it up with the Silicone DOT5 fluid then bled the brakes until fresh DOT 5 fluid came out. I was worried about contaminating with the old stuff as my father flushed out his lines with alcohol, but I never had any problems. I did rebleed them after a few months just to make sure, and everything looked fine.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
OK guys, thanks -- I'll be careful to check that all the old stuff is out in the bleeding process.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys. I don't care about the expense, as I am trying to avoid any trouble with the paint on the rearend housing, and the front spindle/caliper area. It's got all new lines and related parts, so contamination won't be a problem.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts