Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i buy SoffSeal or Metro...these are the two main brands where i live...different dealers sell one of these products and each say the other product sucks and theirs is better...anyone have any past experiences with either of these brands?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just did metro nice fit no door slaming either.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Based on a recommendation that I saw on TC by micky69396, I went with Metro. Haven't installed them yet, so I don't know which would be best. One thing though, I ordered a complete weatherstrip kit from Metro for my car and some of the pieces were back ordered. When I received the backordered parts, they came in packages marked as the "Re-Pops" brand.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll jump in here mainly to say that I want to hear other's experiences too. And also, to give my .02 after being in the hobby for nearly 20 years, but not having a whole lot of personal experience with either company. Just things I've heard/learned from being a fly on the wall.

It is my understanding that for many years SOFFSEAL was it. Metro was around, but in the shadows of the SOFFSEAL monopoly of repro stuff for muscle cars. Folks didn't seem to be overwhelmed with anyone's repro product but the best of all evils was with the SOFFSEAL products. Then, within the past few years, Metro came out with a new super soft formula (can't remember what they call it). Since then, the market seems to be steering their way.

One of the big problem with many of the repro seals, it appears, is/was they were all too thick/hard/dense. My personal experience is with SOFFSEAL door & pillar seals for my 67 convertible. I bought a set many years ago (~1990). They were pretty bad. They attached fine but the doors never wanted to shut 'cause they were too thick/dense. A year or so ago, before I heard about the new Metro stuff, I spoke to a vendor who told me that SOFFSEAL changed their "formula", so I bought another set. I haven't had a chance to try my SOFFSEAL set yet.

My plan is to give my latest SOFFSEAL set a quick try. If they give me too much "resistance", I'm going to find a Metro vendor. I have yet to hear anything bad about the new Metro seals.

Good luck,

------------------
Phil Wise
67 SS Convertible
(now on the down slope of the resto curve)
ACES # 834, TC # 231
Photos of a work in progress

[This message has been edited by Phil Wise (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
543 Posts
for what its worth I used soff seal and was happy with the results. The guy that helped me is a retired bodyman; he adjusted my doors & windows at the same time. He said they should shut tight at first, but the weatherstripping needs to "break in"

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had good experiences with both Metro and SoftSeal. There are differences in the two, though. I recently bought Metro roof rail weatherstrip and installed it on my '65 hardtop with power windows, replacing what I think was Softseal installed by the PO. The Metro looked good and was more dense than the SoftSeal, which appeared to more closely match the original design. The problem was that the power windows would not fully close because of the oversize and density of the Metro product. I had to reinstall the SoftSeal weatherstrip and I put the Metro stripping on my other '65 Malibu with roll-up windows. Works great on that car and I think provides a better seal than the SoftSeal product.

Rod

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
I used the SoffSeal on my 69. I can't say one way or the other about the Metro, but the ones I used fit well. They did take a while to "seat" though. I put them in last summer, and the door seals seemed to make the doors shut hard, but after a few months they were fine. I would have tried to adjust the doors, but I searched and read a thread on this topic where some here had the same problem. Try a search on this topic and see what turns up.

------------------
Steve Beuth

69 Malibu ZZ4-350
93 Camaro Z28
99 Silverado
Chevelle pics

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just ordered some seals from JC Whitney, they shipped me Metro have not installed yet.
Make sure and adjust doors before or during if you don't the seals will take a set. Then if you replace hinges or make adjustments later they probably will not seal correctly.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I used Soffseal on my 69 doors and they took a long time to break in. I had to slam the doors for a long time and eventually had to always close the doors hard even with the proper door adjustments.

I eventually replaced those seals with new GM factory weather strips, and have never regretted it. I did use Metro for my trunk seal and it was exactly identical to the original in shape, and very close in texture. It worked beautifully and looks very factory.

A friend has the Metro door seals for his 69 project and I would say they are superior to the Soffseal in the same application. They have a nice softness and seem to be very close to the originals.

Hope this info helps.

Woj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.