Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post.
My car came with new panels but they have to be installed. They are the preassembled kind. I tried installing a panel over the weekend and it was a bear. I used the clips the previous owner supplied so I don't know if they are the correct ones or not. He didn't provide the plastic inserts that the clips are to go into. I tried to install the panel anyway and ran into these problems.

1) the panel is not marked in anyway to indicate where the clips should go. So I used nail polish to mark the back of the panel eyeing as best I could where the clip should go. I used the holes in the door and pulled the panel away to line up where the clip should go on the panel.
2) Since the material is wrapped around the panel I had to pull it away from the back side of the panel to insert the clips. Then I had to gently push the clip to break the bond between the vinyl and the foam backing on the cardboard.
3) When I got all 6 clips in place I started popping them in place. I had to realign some of them and even then I noticed that when one side was in I had to bow the panel to get the other side in. That caused some of the clips to break.
4) Since these were not lining up I decided to see if the arm rest hole would line up. one did the other two were off. They were off enough that I could not apply any pressure to make them align.

I'm going to order the clips and plastic retainers from a restoration catalog to make sure I'm using the right clips, etc.

Any one had these problems or know of some tricks to installing new panels? Do the back panels use the same clips and retainers?
Thanks in advance for all your help,
John

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Excellent post. This shows the problems with different suppliers.

Do you know the supplier and/or actual manufacturer?

There have been some great posts in recent weeks on this very subject.

Since we haven't ordered our panels yet, we keep watching these posts. There was one supplier/company/manufacturer that most Team Members recommended over all others, however, we didn't save that to a file.

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't know who the previous owner purchased the panels from.
Everything I touch on this car seems to be an incomplete project the previous owner new well enough he should not tackle. While it is rewarding to fix it myself, it's still a PITA.

There are some great posts on door panels if you do a search on the last year for door+panels. Some of the post are older but they do have TCers telling about how good certain suppliers products are. Just aren't any with tips on the problems I'm having.

·
Registered
543 Posts
on the ones I used there were marks (may have been pre-punched holes) that lined up nicely, I got them from Ted Williams. I had some similar trouble with the armrest bases, ended up taking the panels off and lining up the armrests first, finally got it

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replys. I'll try the armrest lineup you mention.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
The plastic sockets can be gotten from an autobody supply store. The brand I got was Au-Ve-Co and the part number was 13170. I got the clips at the same time , but did not get the part number. Au-Ve-Co has a website if you need more info.They sell only to distributors, so you cannot buy anything directly from them.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I thought the clips and clip retainers could be purchased from an autobody supplier. I will check with one in my area.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have new PUI's for mine. They do have the "knockout" lines for the window crank and armrest, the door handle hole is already there. No markings that I've seen for the clips (oblong holes in the panel backing on the old ones) so I guess its measure and cut for those. The ones I was really hoping for were the screw hole along the bottom. Not there either.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Correction to post above. My panels (PUI) do have the 'slots' for the door clips. They were underneath the vinyl that was folded over the sides. Measured the old ones and as I began to cut, there they were.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
The posts on this subject a month or so ago, also showed overwhelming support for PUI.

Seems that they may be the "Winner"?

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i had the unassembled panels and lining up the clips to hit the holes properly was the hardest part about them, i had to finagle most the slots and reopen a couple of them....goood luck

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
for the bottom screws i just got close to wear the flat part that accepts the screws is and measured them evenly from the bottom where i liked them and drilled new holes right through the panel and door...probably not 1oo points correct but, simple and effective

1 - 12 of 12 Posts