Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my elky, the driver side lower hinge - the roller that holds the door open has broken off (it was that way when I bought it). So I'm going to the wrecking yard and take off one from a wreck.

Should I consider immediately buying the rebuild kit (bushings, sleeves, etc), re-do it before putting it on? How much hassle is doing this? I was considering getting it off the wreck, rebuilding it, and then taking it over to a body shop for them to put on and adjust the door (it needs adjustment now).

On a similar question, I just bought a '70 Chevelle, and both doors open and close hard. You really have to pull them open, and push/pull them closed. Would I consider putting the new bushings/sleeves on these two doors, and have them re-hung & re-aligned? The original owner indicated that she has been gonna have them re-aligned for the last couple of years, but never got around to it.

Any thoughts?

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Registered
22 Posts
RBK Just replaced bushings and pins in my 71. If you are going to replace the hinge anyway with a used one I would replace the pins and bushings while you already have it out. I used a chain fall nylon strap and a blanket to pick door. Worked great. Just be careful with the door edge and fender, real easy to chip the paint.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Why not rebuild the one you have ? I just installed replacement detent rollers on mine - easy with drill, tap & grinder. Got em from Ausleys.Definitely rebuild em while they're off.
If your doors open/close that hard, oil the heck out of them. If still that hard, rebuild the hinges.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.