Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66' ElCamino. Need to get inside door to replace the door latch hardware and having tough time removing handles on inside of doors.With tuck and rolled interior that is in the car makes it very hard to see if or what holds them in place. Any answers? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
There is a horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the door handle and window crank onto the shaft. The easiest way is with a inexpensive tool made just for removing crank and handle. Its sold at most auto parts stores.

------------------
Rick
67ss bb
But dear, all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....
Rick's 67

·
Registered
224 Posts
I might be the cheapest SOB out there, but I just use a bent paper-clip for removall.

To install them back on it helps a great deal to start out the horse-shoe clip. There is enough space on the window handle to get it started. Then you put the handle on the sprocket, line it up. Next you just have to bend your paper clip into a V to push down on the horse-show

------------------
SB350 will soon be a BB396 w/nitrous
TH350 will be replaced by a TH400 (shift kit, slight stall)
shooting for low 12s in 1/4
college student budget and wisdom.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,018 Posts
Oh man, you are doing it the hard way.
Put the clip back on the handle while it's off and in your hand then snap the handle with clip already installed onto the shaft.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Dean's right: that's why the end of the shaft is somewhat pointed, so it can spread open the clip.

A long, long time ago, when the "Tips and Fixes" forum just started, this topic came up, and someone's trick (who's name I can't remember) for removing the clips was to run a cloth around the back of the knob (where the clip is), and work the cloth like you were shining shoes: the cloth would get snagged by the clip, and the clip would be removed. I havent tried it, but it sounded quick, cheap and easy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK. It's a couple of months since this first posted but I'll try anyway. I'm trying to get the window crank handle off of my '70 Chevelle. The inside door handle was a piece of cake. The clip was right there and came right out. I looked for a clip on the window crank but didn't see one. Any ideas?

Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
If the handle won't come off it's because the clip is holding it on. If you have the correct tool it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The window crank clip is identical to the door handle. You may have to push the door panel in deeper to see it, or there should be a plastic disk around the crank shaft that is hiding the clip. It is or should be there.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

1 - 9 of 9 Posts