Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have a 69 Chevelle that has some door handle issues. The inside handles and mechanism work fine but the button on the outside keeps getting stuck or the rod that actuates it falls off. I tried some aftermarket ones but I keep having the same issue. Am I doing something wrong or not buying the right parts? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
There is a lever on the door mechanism that is pushed by the rod on the door handle. The aftermarket rods are not long enough, despite companies that make them saying that they are. They can sometimes be made to work by bending them into the right spot, but I had to complain to Trim Parts and they sent me a new set of buttons with the rods made to my measurements, which were taken off of an original I still had laying around.

As far as the rod " falling off ", are you referring to it slipping off the door mechanism lever, or actually falling out of the push button?

Let us know..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant they are slipping off the door mechanism lever. Is there any place I can buy just the correct length rod and button or do I need to buy the whole assemble again? And which ones do you recommend? Thank you for your response.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Is it possible your mechanisms are too stiff and cause the rod to slip off? After I cleaned and lubed my mechanisms, the button pushed in with almost no effort - made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Is it possible your mechanisms are too stiff and cause the rod to slip off? After I cleaned and lubed my mechanisms, the button pushed in with almost no effort - made a world of difference.
I agree, I had the same type of issue myself.

Whats weird is I have 2 sets of door handles and push buttons one set from my last 70 and a set from my 69 both sets are OEM and they both have different length rods on the buttons???
I will take some pictures of them so you can see the difference of the rod length.
I had both OEM sets rechromed.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Here is the picture:
Click to view full size:

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
We put new handles on our '69 el Camino. The buttons have a lot of clearance between them and the handle and wobble around when being used. I had to cut the rods and bend them to suit the application. Not many people have the torches and stuff to do this and it is a royal pain for them. One rod came loose and I used red Loctite to re-install it. Typical aftermarket stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
We put new handles on our '69 el Camino. The buttons have a lot of clearance between them and the handle and wobble around when being used. I had to cut the rods and bend them to suit the application. Not many people have the torches and stuff to do this and it is a royal pain for them. One rod came loose and I used red Loctite to re-install it. Typical aftermarket stuff.
Same with the handles I bought, too much room around the button and the handle so it's real sloppy. You wouldn't think it would be that tough to make those two pieces fit together. Maybe this stuff is like rocket science to the Chinese.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mine does the same....get some of that lockease stuff.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
There is a O ring that goes around the button before its' installed in the handle. keeps it tight in the handle . Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts