Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of the Door Alignment wedges installed that they could post? I bought the aftermarket kit and I just don't see how they are to be installed. The car never had them on since I had it and no holes in the jamb to locate. One door has two dimples where I would think it might go, but the gap between the door jamb and door is larger than the shim pack that was provided. (Doors are properly alighned with fender and rear 1/4's). Does plastic wedge go on door or jamb?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Did you get them off e bay...? I saw them too. Maybe some one knows.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Does plastic wedge go on door or jamb?
Plastic? :confused: There are no parts of the door wedges on my 69 that are plastic. What year is your car?

That said, on mine (again, it's a 69), the wedge shaped part goes in the jamb on the quarter panel side. The stainless steel plate goes on the door. The two dimples in the door are where the screws are supposed to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On those reproduction kits, the plastic or teflon pieces go on the door, brass pieces to the jamb on body, shim to firm contact point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any way to help define "shim to firm contact point" into a measurabe specification?

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I've never seen or heard of shimming these wedges. Their only purpose is to provide a positive stop to prevent the door from hitting the door jamb or quarter panel in conditions where the body is flexing, such as driving over rough roads or jacking one end of the car up. I suppose you could put some type of putty or something similar on one side or the other and then shut the door. When you open it back up, measure how much non-compressed putty there is to get an idea of the gap between the two parts when the door is closed. You would obviously want to have less of a gap between the two wedge pieces than you have gap between the rear edge of your door and the forward edge of the quarter panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts