Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to fire the old El Camino today, she had been settin for awhile. I had been foolin with the wifes elky and the vette. Started it right up let in run a coupla minutes, shut it down. Checked water, little low, checked oil A LITTLE FRIGGEN WHITE!!!
No way could I have busted anything so I guess it's either a intake gasket or maybe a head gasket started seeping while she was resting. I don't mind changing gaskets if nessessary but I do dread cleaning up the mess. Oh well pooky happens.
We won't be going out to terrorize the citizenery for a while, Pooky!

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry to hear about your nasty find Harley. Rotten gasket sounds like the real culprit. From a positive standpoint, this could serve as the perfect excuse to make some 'other' internal changes, since you have it apart anyways.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Now looking for a 70' ragtop to... "Drop a Gear and Disappear!"

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No silver lining this time. This motor was almost new over 5k invested about the only thing I could add is gold plated push rods.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model(water Logged), 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not meaning to sound insensitive in any way...I have heard when a motor is to sit for an extended time (which this might not have been the case) it is best to drain the cooling system. I saw a Vette the other day that had sat for 8 years. The cooling system was a wreck. Thermostat, housing, water pump and a plugged up radiator. Don't know about the heater core.

Just food for thought.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had a 402 BB and when the A-hole assembled it he put the head bolts in dry, with no selant. Before I knew it the motor was junk. Coolant leaked past the bolts and ate the cam, bearings, and cylinders. Thats why I will never buy used parts again. Like the saying goes if you want something done right do it yourself, or at least get someone reputable and still watch them.

------------------
Chevyman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.