Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 64 chevelle conv., it is pretty reliable, but none of my dash lights work at night, except for when i put on the high beams, then the speedo light works. i am looking at the wiring diagram and just getting frustrated. i would like these lights to work so i know how much gas i have, how fast i go, etc. can anyone explian this wiring mess to me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stating the obvious: check the fuse. Remove it and test it with a meter to be sure. Also make sure the fuse socket isn't corroded. Dash lights usually share a common connection. Does that car have a dimmer? A ratty dimmer control will also cause the same problem.

------------------
Bruce L.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Two things come to mind that may help out a little.

1) Electricity HAS to travel in a complete circle. If you think of it leaving the battery, it HAS to have a path back! It's lazy and will take the path that is the easiest to travel.

2) When I do (almost) any electrical troubleshooting, I get several zerox copys of the wiring diagram that I bought. The larger the better! Then I use a highlighting pen to mark out the line being checked. That way you don't jump from line to line. Just think about the lines you highlighted and don't worry about all the other stuff.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
341 Posts
You may have a worn out headlight switch, or even a bunch of burned out bulbs. Did the high beam light come on when you applied the brights? If not, the light that did come on may be in the wrong cavity.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Pprince,
The dash wiring on the 64 & 65 is really pretty simple, and also sensitive to poor grounding. Previous advice is good, however I'd add a good digital volt/ohm meter and test light to your arsenal before begining the search for the problem. Then start with the fuses and move on to check the ground on all the circuits. Good luck, mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 08-13-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.