Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just powered up my 70 after a complete frame off. All lights work except the dome light. Well it works but does not go out when the doors are closed. New door switches and wiring harness. Any ideas on where to start looking for the problem? Any one have this problem?. Thanks

ALbert

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Silly question, is the headlight switch knob turned/twisted to the "on" position??

Are the door switches adjusted properly? They should break contact when the door is fully shut. If I recall correctly there are some types that "auto" adjust. If you screw them in, then slowly close the door the guts of the switch will slide and adjust.
Otherwise I'd be looking for a pinched wire in the circuit. The dome circuit illuminates when either door switch goes to ground.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the dimmer switch..twisted both ways. New switches in the doors..seem to be opening and closing..pinched wire? I'll trace the wires tomorrow could be. Thanks for the input.

ALbert

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
i've heard of the dome light actually grounding itself through the screws of the dome light housing in the roof. Try putting some electrical tape on those mounting screws and see if it helps. No experience w/ this myself, just something i heard around here a while ago.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Last post looked good. Remove the dome light and check the wiring it may be grounding there. If not think where can the wire ground. Door switches and headlight switch is all I can think of. Print out the wiring diagram and study. Remove door switch wires and tape up, disconnect headlight switch. If light is still on you can VERY CAREFULLY AND WITH GREAT CAUTION connect a jumper wire from positive at the battery and run inside to a working location. Connect a headlight in series for a little added protection. You can then for a brief instant short positive through the headlight bulb to provide some resistance through a remote start switch through the ground wire to generate a magnetic field which you can trace. WARNING IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL YOU WILL BURN UP THE HARNESS. However if you only power up for a millisecond this will give you a strong magnetic field. Go to autozone and buy a short tracer to follow the magnetic field. Before trying this take several hours and practice with some wire on the bench. THIS IS RISKY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts