Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dome stays on all the time.Could it be the switch in the door jam or maybe headlight switch it's self.How can i test this out?Thanks for any responces and thanks team chevelle for this great site. Ray

------------------
RayGriffin 70 LS6-TURBO 400 RED/BLACK

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
There are (2) conditions that cause a Chevelle's dome light to illuminate,

1) one or both of the car doors are open--the door jamb switch grounds, and provides the ground side of the light making it come on.

2) you turn your headlight switch to maximum brightness (the dash light dimmer), it goes into a detent with actuates the dome light. Again, this provides a ground path to the light.

Remember, a dome light (and all other curteousy lights ALWAYS have a hot lead (a +12 volts) to them at all times. The ground is what gets switched. No ground, no light.

First off, CLOSE ALL YOUR DOORS TIGHT, no try to rule out your head lights switch, turn on your headlights and then rotate the knob to make the dash lights dim, Did the light go off? If it did there's your problem.

If it didn't you may be forced to tear off the top of the dash to fully rule that out. Usually the headlight switch is NOT to blame, but a bad door jamb switch.

Keep me updated, and I'll give you more ideas on troubleshooting before you rip the car apart (including the dash)

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

Wanted:

-1968 VW beetle water pump

-1973 Corvette quarter panels (they rusted thru)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,with both doors shut tight the light still stays on,i will try using the headlight switch and dimming the light to see if my dome light goes off.I'll let you tommorrow when i try it as to what happens.Thank for the info. Ray

------------------
RayGriffin 70 LS6-TURBO 400 RED/BLACK

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,i tryed dimming the light with the doors shut and my light still stayed on,its looking like it might be headlight swich.I pulled out the door jam switch and pushed in the button and it still did not go out.Guess i will try unplugging the headlight switch next and see what happens then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts