Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-
Its probably a simple fix, I believe I read something about it once before on here but I can't seem to find anything.
Dome light is locked on. Door open, door shut, headlight switch turned any which direction. The Light glows strong. The strikers in the doors move freely. Only thing I can think of is the headlight switch. But, before diving into the dash I thought I would get your opinions.
Thanks In Advance!
BTW- I took the bulb out and it went out
Battery hasn't died or anything, but you never realize how much those interior lights are needed until they're gone!

------------------
Russ (or Steve)
1965 Malibu 283/PG/A/C
Now 350/TH350 with some goodies
My Homepage (Updated 5/31/2001)
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
934 Posts
One of the wires could be pinched and is getting grounded. The door switches work opposite of other switches in your car. They make the light come on when they ground the wire, rather than sending power through. (I hope that makes sense) LOL

My '69 Malibu has the same problem that I must address one of these days too. I have the bulb out on mine right now.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me...

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

[This message has been edited by mr409 (edited 04-15-2002).]

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
My Vette had the same problem recently. Found out the driver side door jam switch had gone bad although it's plunger appeared to function normally. The switches are easy and cheap to replace.

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'80 Camaro RS Vortec
'68 Corvette L-79

'68 Corvette L-79
'80 Camaro RS

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
steve
As explained, the power goes to the lite fixture first, then it looks for a ground. If one of the door switches is bad, you can disconnect the wire to the switch. If disconnecting the wire makes the light go out, the switch is bad. You probably need to remove the kickpanels to access the back of the switch. I don't know whats involved in disconnecting the headlamp switch. (the rotry portion is off
isn't it? ) Can you get at the connector from underneath the dash?

If its not one of the 3 switches, you need to look for a ground wire that is pinched or has the insulation worn off. Good luck with that. BTW - I believe that the ground wires will be white, so they are a bit easier to follow.
rick

·
Registered
323 Posts
Steve, The previous info is correct, and you should look at those wires and switches. However, I had a wire that was grounded at the dome light bezel itself. Somehow, in the past, someone had replaced the dome light bezel, and pinched a wire in the process. Worth a look anyway if the others do not solve your problem. RB6667

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, finally fixed it today.

I was on a rampage, even hooked up my powersteering for the first time since the new motor went in.

Turned out to be the headlight switch, old one was pretty wasted, got a new one for 20 bucks, popped it in and all is good again.

Thought I'd update before I posted more electrical problems.

------------------
Russ (or Steve)
1965 Malibu 283/PG/A/C
Now 350/TH350 with some goodies
My Homepage **(Updated 5/16/2002)**
Team Chevelle Member #71

1 - 7 of 7 Posts