Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1970SS, my dome light and my console light have a constant 12vt reading. I can disconnect both door switches and the voltage is still there.The light switch works fine,and the dash lights dimmer funtions properly. Using the light switch to manually turn on the dome light,has no effect with both doors closed,it feels and sounds like it is engageing.Would you think the problem is with the light switch itself? thanks John

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
As stated the door jamb switches close, door open, to ground the circuit. The head light switch also grounds the circuit. The head light switch needs to be grounded if it's not all other functions work. In other words the only reason the head light switch needs to be grounded is to switch on, ground, the interior/courtesy lights. You can reach up behind the cluster, grab the switch and rotate it slightly back and forth to improve the ground. The switch on the head light switch may be bad, it along with the dash light dimmer are separate from but attached to the actual head light switch.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,817 Posts
When I installed my new dome light in my 70 it worked fine hanging down without the mounting screws, as soon as I put the screws in the roof support it would come on and stay on. I eventually figured it was grounding through the chrome plating. I put electrical tape on the screw heads before installing them and and it worked perfect.
Ron

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TooCoolZ28 It was the dome light reproduction all chrome ficture that was causing the problem!!!! Taped the screws and it works fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts