Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've done it now. I pulled the old malibu dash from my 70. Certainly looks odd inside
I just hope I get this redone 'SS' dash in in this century. Geez does this look like a lot of problems just waiting to rear their ugly little heads!

I'll post my observations and my sanity level as I proceed in the next week or so.

Pray for me

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

·
Registered
41 Posts
ddoler, you responded to my dash conversion questions. Let me know how your project unfolds. I have a '71 malibu with the linear speeedo, I want to change it to an ss dash but keep the idiot lights, to make it easier. Where did you come across your dash conversion? Is this the right way to go about it, meaning did the ss malibu's come with the circular gauges and idiot lights? Thanks for any response. Dennis

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was fortunate that the previous owner had the SS dash and console, but just didn't have the moxy to install them.

He's where I am as of today - The malibu std. dash came out with a lot of work. About 7 dash frame bolts after I dropped the steering column to get to a bolt just above it. This included taking the column coverplate off of the firewall on the inside by the brake pedal. Not as hard as it sounds.

Many connectors later and the dash comes loose. It's tricky getting it out the door but be patient!. Oh, to get the harness connector off the firewall, there is on bolt on the engine side that holds the engine/headlight/alternator harness connector in place. It's a tough bend to get to. More patience. Two long screws hold the interior side in place. To separate, place a long screwdrive in the righ spot and SLOWLY pry. Poppped right off.

I'm keeping everything for reference and for needed parts. While I'm in there I'm cleaning everything like the air ducts and re-glueing the insulation that has come loose. Also painting some areas that look like rust may be starting.

This weekend the new dash goes in. I really don't think, now that I'm into it that it is going to be all that hard. Just slow.

I've got my cooler of ice tea, CD player and my wife is going shopping with here sisters for the day. What better situation!

I'll post here as the process continues.

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was fortunate that the previous owner had the SS dash and console, but just didn't have the moxy to install them.

He's where I am as of today - The malibu std. dash came out with a lot of work. About 7 dash frame bolts after I dropped the steering column to get to a bolt just above it. This included taking the column coverplate off of the firewall on the inside by the brake pedal. Not as hard as it sounds.

Many connectors later and the dash comes loose. It's tricky getting it out the door but be patient!. Oh, to get the harness connector off the firewall, there is on bolt on the engine side that holds the engine/headlight/alternator harness connector in place. It's a tough bend to get to. More patience. Two long screws hold the interior side in place. To separate, place a long screwdrive in the righ spot and SLOWLY pry. Poppped right off.

I'm keeping everything for reference and for needed parts. While I'm in there I'm cleaning everything like the air ducts and re-glueing the insulation that has come loose. Also painting some areas that look like rust may be starting.

This weekend the new dash goes in. I really don't think, now that I'm into it that it is going to be all that hard. Just slow.

I've got my cooler of ice tea, CD player and my wife is going shopping with here sisters for the day. What better situation!

I'll post here as the process continues.

------------------
HELLO,

I'M ATTEMPTING TO SWAP A STD MALIBU (SWEEP) DASH WITH A FULLY GAUGED DASH IN A '71 CHEVELLE. I'VE REMOVED THE OLD UNIT AND PURCHASED ALL THE HARDWARE, NEW DASH, GAUGES, PAD, ETC. NOW COMES THE JOY OF INSTALLATION. I'M GETTING CONFLICTING ADVICE AND INFO AS TO WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR WIRING. IS THERE A CONVERSION HARNESS TO USE THE ORIGINAL HARNESS WITH THE NEW EQUIPMENT, OR AM I OBILGATED TO PURCHASE A NEW COMPLETE DASH WIRING HARNESS FOR THE NEW EQUIPMENT I'M INSTALLING? ALSO WILL I NEED TO ALSO SWAP OUT THE ENGINE AND HEADLIGHT HARNESSES AS WELL ? IF A FULL NEW HARNESS IS REQUIRED, WHO MAKES THE BEST AND EASIEST ONES TO INSTALL ? ANY HELP AND ADVISE YOU COULD THROW OUR WAY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MY 15 YEAR OLD AND I ARE ANXIOUS TO GET THE CAR BACK ON THE ROAD

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

JERRY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.