Team Chevelle banner

Wish your Car was a Different Color?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Don’t really care for a change. This is the color I ordered the car in 1970 and is same color on the 2018 completed restoration. View attachment 717537
I was hoping someone was happy with Astro Blue. My 70 Bu I'm restoring as a tribute SS it is a factory Astro Blue with a white vinyl top. I want to ditch the vinyl. Was considering Black Cherry but I want it to be a driver and afraid the dark color would require more detailing. Just need to decide on black or white stripes. The black stripes go well with the black grill though. (y)

Reactions: KCMO454

· Registered
2,193 Posts

· Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I see. Easy way to have a different color....just drive a different car out of the garage, ha.....

Why are some turn signal lenses two tone and some pure orange?
I've owned a 71 and 72 way back and I should know but I don't.
Early model 72s were all amber with black headlamp rings, late model 72s (built after January 1, 1972) had the clear lens using the Amber bulb and chrome headlamp rings.

72 had different things none of the other years had mechanically and trim.

· Premium Member
9,035 Posts
Well the ElCo is still in primer but it's black instead of the grey it was when I bought it.What I wish was the factory color was Dusk blue or Fathom blue but instead my factory color is a metallic Brown.It is code 78 or Rosewood. If I look in the door jambs and inside the doors there is that nice Metallic Brown Rosewood & I like the color that's in there.
The thing is every repaint I've seen on the inter net doesn't look like what the color that's left in the door jambs or what the paint under the inner door panels looks like.It looks more like it has a lot of Maroon color to it, Bleh.(n) If I could find the real paint that matches the door jambs color I'll paint it Rosewood but if I can't then it'll be dark blue metallic.

· Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Is there enough there for a digital sampling? then you could have some mixed up and see how it looks.

Moreover, in my vintage, Danube Blue rocks!

· Premium Member
9,035 Posts
Yeah Gene but I'll probably have to remove the door and take it in with me to the body supply store. ;) That is unless they can come out to the car and see the factory jambs to get a paint sample.

Reactions: 427L88

· Registered
242 Posts
I was hoping someone was happy with Astro Blue. My 70 Bu I'm restoring as a tribute SS it is a factory Astro Blue with a white vinyl top. I want to ditch the vinyl. Was considering Black Cherry but I want it to be a driver and afraid the dark color would require more detailing. Just need to decide on black or white stripes. The black stripes go well with the black grill though. (y)
"The black stripes go well with the black grill though." ...and I will have to agree with your observation. Whichever color you choose for your car I am sure it will look great.

· Registered
4,217 Posts
My 69 el Camino SS396 is the nicest shade of dark blue. I notice some blues seem to have a lot of red in them. I don't like that color. My el Camino has a silver base to it and its darker then the others. It has black interior which I always liked. Now that I have a Hurst Autostick I shifter, I removed the console and want to install a Strato bench seat. I'd love to have that black satin fabric that came in the more expensive interiors..

· Registered
12,278 Posts
Originally wanted mine painted 1968 Tripoli Turquoise, 1 yr Camaro color
Done right it looks incredible in the sun. Body shop couldnt, or was tool lazy to find the color.

Next choice was black, touch of blue pearl. Body, once I stripped it was so bad you couldnt even find a reference point.
2 shops that had it werent confident it would be straight enough .Well it was

Wound up white/red its original color just updated the shades of both a fair amount;took a few tries until I was happy
Really pops, is cooler inside and never looks dirty. Some days I wish it was black but looks great the way it is. Every idiot and their brother will scratch one up in a hot second, since i Bought my first black car in 93 its always been that way.
No more black ones...plus detailing is 0 appeal to me.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts