Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my shifter for over a year now and im finall fed up with not being able to engage 1st gear. I all the gears are in the correct spots execpt 1st. it paused before downshifting everytime. thats how it was until I tried to adjust it. now all the gears are in the wrong spots.
can anyone tell me how to adjust the linkage from square one.
thanx
Justin

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've never had any experience with that particular shifter, but I always start adjusting linkage in neutral. Put the shifter in neutral, and then put the trans in neutral, and go from there. Does that shifter use a cable or is it a rod?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is a hurst pro-matic shifter, it has a cable
it has two adjustments one, is the location of the cable on the tranny bracket. the other is a screw on ball stud at the end of the cable. that connects to the tranny linkage

·
Registered
326 Posts
To adjust the cable....

Put the tranny in low gear maually with the lever on the tranny. (does your lever have more than one mounting hole?) Put the shifter in low also. Adjust the cable so that it fits. But don't tighten anything yet. Put the tranny in park and the shifhter in park. Fit the cable again. If your lucky it should be exactly the same. It might be off slighty. If it is off, find a happy medium between low and park. Then hopefully everything should work. Attach everything and move the shifter throught he gears to see.

This is how I did my B&M shifter, but it should be the same for the Hurst.

****If this doesn't work, my guess would be the cable is busted.

I have busted a few cables in the past, and that is what usually happens. You loose low gear. Check the cable for cracks in the sleeve or for chaffing. It doesn't have to be completely broken to start acting up. A crack will cause it to work improperly.

------------------
David Nafarrete
1965 406 6speed
(almost on the road again)

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 07-03-99).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Putting the tranny and shifter in low will work, I just like starting in neutral. Use the adjustment on the cable for the main adjusment, and the ball screw to fine tune it. If there isn't any free play in the shifter itself, then it should be right on once you put the cable on the ball stud, which should be the last thing you do.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have the same problem with a B&M Pro Shifter. I tried the suggestions here but mine still doesn't line up. I tried adjusting it in park than then disconnected it from the trans. Moved both trans and shifter to low, it was in adjustment there also. But neutral still isn't where it is supposed to be, on the drive side of the reverse lockout. I have to push the reverse lockout to get neutral.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.