Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any Chevelle owners out there have their original keys? If so, what do they look like, I have what appears to be a pretty old set and was wondering if they might be original.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I have the original keys to both of my 68 chevelles. The ignition key is an octagon, the trunk key is kind of a round triangle. On the front it says "GM" in the center and around it "YOUR KEY TO GREATER VALUE". In my 300 Deluxe, the back says "ROCHESTER PRODUCTS DIVISION", however on the back of my Malibu's keys it says "BRIGGS & STRATTON"
I'm going to take the locks out of the Deluxe and will soon have a full set w/ original keys for sale if anyone is interested.

-Joe Y

·
Registered
37 Posts
Eddie,
The original keys also do not have a round hole in them for the key chain. The hole is T shape. The bottom part of the T is located where the key chain hole would normally go, and the top of the T is where a small piece of material was punched out. The punch out has the key code on it. The punched out pieces were delivered in a small envelope along with the paperwork for the car so you could take the pieces to the parts dept and order new keys.
GaryR

·
Registered
367 Posts
Eddie, I got an original ignition key but an unoriginal trunk key with my '67. I went to my neighborhood Chevy dealer and he pulled out a little box from the back room with exactly what I needed. Check your local sources...there's still some around. Good Luck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I replaced the ignition switch but the original key for the ignition looked like the grill emblem.Anyone else have one for there 67?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've got a few sets of NOS GM key blanks from Briggs & Stratton. I believe these are 64-66 only because there's no letter code stamped in them. Later blanks were identified with a letter. I can put together a few sets if anyone wants them - 1 of each key for $3 + .50 shipping (in other words, $3.50 total for 2 keys and shipping). E-mail me if you're interested. Remember, if you've got a letter code on your key, I can't help you.

Either in late 68 or starting with the '69 model year, GM went with the square and round keys that were used throughout the 70's & 80's.

PS - I'm posting this here rather than in the ads because I'd like to see them go to regulars rather than the wheeler-dealers.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rainer (edited 04-04-99).]

[This message has been edited by Rainer (edited 04-04-99).]

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I bought my set for the door and ignition at Discount Auto. They have the original style keys for my 67'. I think i paid about $20.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Rainer, are you talking about the "C" and "D" on the keys? If so, that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Joe -

Yes, those are the codes I'm referring to.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.