Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does a hydraulic lifer block require machining for rollers?

or is it just a question of replacing the cam, lifters and maybe different length pushrods??

how does adding roller rockers (comp cams Pro Magnum moly steel) enter into the equation?? different length pushrods now???

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
1. No. If you are talking about the early blocks that were built before the factory roller lifter blocks were cast. Aftermarket roller lifters/cams have been around for the small block/big block since probably the 50s, but for sure since the 60s. Before I tackled this question I tried to remember who made the first roller kit for the SB. Can't remember. Just shop around, there are several to choose from.

2. Most come as a kit: roller cam/lifters/springs and maybe pushrods.

3. Pushrod length is going to be determined by all the components combined, and the best advice will probably come from the manufacturer. If you do not get a good recomendation from the manufacturer of the components, then you will need to check the geometry of an intake/exhaust pair with light springs on the valves to determine correct pushrod length. this is not really hard to do, just time consuming. But that's part of the fun of building your own engine.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rich I looked into this and it's $750-$1K to do the conversion incl. roller rockers. That's using all Comp Cams products. Those billet roller cams are expensive! Heck, it's all expensive. I wasn't sure I'd get enough return with a roller for those $$$. The Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam seems to come closer to roller performance and they're pretty cheap.

Maybe phase 2 or I'll just wait for my 502!

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just finished putting a hydrolic roller cam into my 72 454.

Big block mark IV engines require that the roller lifters be paired together. No machining is necessary.
Comp cams and others make the "retro" fit lifters.

You will need shorter push rods. Once again comp makes a set for their lifters.

The most expensive part was the lifters @ $260 for the set (through Competition Products (not comp cams) who advertises in car craft)

The roller cam I bought came from chet herbert cams in So. Cal. @ $185.

I used harland sharp roller rockers @ $195.

Push rods about $50?

A cam button must be used and set up properly to keep the cam from walking.
@ $200.

Chet Herberts cam is steel billet requiring a brass cam gear for the distributor and brass tipped fuel push rod if using a mechanical pump. @ $24 and $ 22 respectively.

Small block??? I don't know the answers. Sorry!

Let me know if I can help anymore.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.