Team Chevelle banner

Tell us with your vote which you would rather race on.

• 1/4 mile track only.

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 1/4 mile track only.(street car)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • 1/8th of a mile track only.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 1/8th of a mile track only.(street car)

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • 1/8th & 1/4 mile tracks. (don't care)

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • 1/8th & 1/4 mile tracks. (don't care - street car)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • I only like to watch 1/8th mile.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only like to watch 1/4 mile.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I never race.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never race. (just dream of it)

Votes: 2 3.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing this pole because of a recent 1/4 vs 1/8th mile post I had put up, trying to understand what all the excitement is about.
Some seen to think a 1/8th track is a money issue connected to track insurance. Others be leave a 1/8th track is a safer way to race with speeds ever increasing over the years. Then theres others that believe parts don't brake as much on a 1/8th track vs a full 1/4 track.
Many say the prize money is better on a 1/8th track than on a full 1/4 track.
A few said a 1/8th track is boring to watch. Others disagreed. Then there are those that just love to race 1/8th or 1/4 mile it don't matter.

Tell us with your vote which you would rather race on. Thank You.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Most of us just take what is available to us locally. It's still fun no matter how long the track is.
X2.
With Diesel $4.50+ per gallon, I'm racing locally only except for maybe the bracket finals(which will also be 1/8th mile). It's not that I can't afford the fuel, it's the principal of the matter(I don't like getting bent over). Even the IHRA division races(up to Top Sportsman and Top Dragster) are run 1/8th mile on a 1/4 mile track. At least they are here in Div. 4.

I can definitely understand with a slower street type car where 1/8th mile would be boring to run, especially if you only run for fun and don't care about the competition. As I already said, watching most any bracket racing is boring to me. How many cookie cutter dragsters, or 7.50 second (1/8th) footbrake cars can you watch go down the track before you lose interest? It takes me about two pairs of either.:boring:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm probably a little older than most of you on here and I grew up mostly around 1/4 mi racing so that's what I prefer. And also, I certainly don't have as fast of a car as most of you. It's a street car and is geared more toward a longer track. My car don't really leave hard enough to break and I don't twist it real hard. I understand the concern of breakage on a fast racer, but that just don't apply to me. I'm having to run 1/8 mi more and more but will still rather 1/4.

Danny

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
1/4 mile because that's what we have. Although if there were a choice of tracks, I'd go 1/4 over 1/8th. Who wants to win only 1/2 a race?

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
When there's no more 1/4 mile racing left, I'll buy a boat and spend my Saturdays on the lake.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
1/4 mile because that's what we have. Although if there were a choice of tracks, I'd go 1/4 over 1/8th. Who wants to win only 1/2 a race?
I'll take winning 1/2 a race and still getting full prize money any day! LOL.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'll take winning 1/2 a race and still getting full prize money any day! LOL.
I guess winnning is winning! :beers:

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I'd race anything, anywhere. I just want to race! Although I have my favorites, I don't pick sides and stick my nose up at the others. Again, I just want to race and get my fix!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most of us just take what is available to us locally. It's still fun no matter how long the track is.
:thumbsup:
Also the 1/8 reminds me of the stop light to stop light runs :D

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
From the spectators point of view, it would be easy to understand their boredom watching my Chevelle repeatedly. An off idle launch with 3.55's out back equals absolutely zero drama, no violent twist, wheels firmly on the track, as docile as a soccer mom heading to Dairy Queen. Inside the car, the trunk is sucking you back like a black hole.

Against any comparible bracket racer with gears, I'm just starting to reel them in at the 1/8 (6.815 @ 104). For them to get a good view off the tail lights, I like to have all 1320' to show 'em.

There is, of course, those that only race the 1/8 on a 1/4 mile track. You know, to keep from getting booted. Dang nonconformist trouble makers. I would never do that.

I prefer to take everything I own along for the ride. In this case; full tank of gas, 100 lbs secured (steel) balast, (4) 35 lb sandbags, spare set of mounted drag radials, floorjack, toolbag and an ice chest on the floor of the back seat.

Apparently I was about a 12 pack shy of optimal, still went 11.44. 5th round, Sunday bracket races in Tucson (3100') after ALL OUT.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
1/4 mile all the way. If I had a choice between 1/8 mile or nothing I'd race the 1/8th . . . but it would take some real getting used to.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Take your fun where you can find it. Drive it like you stole it. As long as you can afford to keep putting the parts on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got to have 1/4 mile. With an et. of 6.98 @ 194, it is over way too quick.:hurray::hurray: A lot of races are won and lost at the starting line. But, if you have a car that has a top end charge, makes for a great finish......:yes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.