Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I'm trying to determine the exact location of the vacuum tank that is part of the heater control system on cars with air conditioning. This tank is located under the hood on the firewall or heater housing, and has a vacuum hose that runs to the port on the intake manifold. My assembly manual an service manual aren't quite clear on this. Does anyone have a scanned photo, or can you give me specific details on the location? I don't have any existing mounting holes to go by. Thanks a bunch!

Update - From my 69 Chassis Service Manual, it looks like full-size cars had the tank on the firewall, while Chevelles had them on the evaporator housing. Could someone look in their 68 Manual to see if its the same? Thanks!
------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rainer (edited 08-25-99).]

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
If you're referring to the "bean can", its located on the evap case over the right valve cover level with where the upper ac line comes out of the evap case (the one that curves around and fastens to the expansion or POA valve). I am computer challenged and cannot scan, but would be glad to copy and fax shop manual drawings to you. I also have some period pix that verify this.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting pictures! I guess the one on my car got replaced with one from a later model at some point. It's located in the same spot but looks different. I have a .jpg of the can on my 68; if you want you can e-mail me and I will send you a couple of pics.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help, guys. My parts book lists the same part # for the tank for all 67-70 cars with A/C, and 65-66 full-size. I wonder if both plastic and metal types were used. I've seen both types on 68-69 cars. Another plastic vs. metal debate?

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.