Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 66, has a 350 4 speed and a 3.08 open ten bolt. Nothing wrong with any of this. But, a old hotrod needs a 12 bolt right? I've got a 2.73 open sitting here I bought a few years ago. Bought a used posi unit off a member and have a set of 3.31 and 3.07 gears with a Yukon installation kit. I called the differential shop a day they to me $200 to set it up if I bring I am clean empty housing.
I get to thinking if I'm going that route, why not buy a new posi, r /p and new axles.
Then I thought rebuild the used posi. Next thought just go and have it bolted in as is and be done with it.
Finally decided to just say screw it. Leave the ten bolt in the car, save the money and enjoy the car as is. It's not like I'm cloning a SS it's a mild small block car. I don't think I will ever hurt the ten bolt and it's not raced. Jim

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Wasn't that easy?

Steve R

Words to live by!! Making a decision is an art. You learn this very quickly in construction management. I make 100 decision per day that can't all be right but they certainly move the machine.
Not saying to take any circumstance lightly but something can surely be said for putting something to bed and quit stewing over it.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 3.08 gear in a daily driver with mild engine even a peg leg one.
Just use first and second in the 1/4 mile.. you said you do not race it so no biggie there.

Even the peg leg rearend or limited slip will actually hook up with the correct tires .

I used some old Firestone drag 500's 29-12.50-15 on my 72 Nova back in 1987 ..it had 273 gears and would spin 1 regular tire forever.

It had a 3500 stall and i slapped the slicks onto it with 12 psi of air I think it was.

That nova went straight for the sky with those tires after I stalled it up and tried to launch on a hot asphalt road in front of the mother-in-laws house.

Came crashing back to earth and busted my rear shocks off.

Found out if you have a sticky enough wrinkle wall it will hook up.

The spider gears get in a bind against each other under heavy torque is what I heard and will hook both tires.

Of course you need to have a worn out carrier to allow the flex and binding.

But you are not racing it.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
I have a tko 600 five speed and a 3.73 ten bolt in my 66. Mostly because 12 bolts seem scarce and expensive, and the ten bolt was priced right. If a 12 bolt came along affordable, I would jump.

That said, my 82 Mustang has run 7.80 eighth miles, with sprayed launches, on a 7.5 in Ford axle, with just an SVE traction lock for ten years or more on Drag Radials.

Go figure.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
I'll buy you a new posi for the 10 bolt if you'll give me the 66 12 bolt for my 66 Elky that's at Philips.

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
I'll buy you a new posi for the 10 bolt if you'll give me the 66 12 bolt for my 66 Elky that's at Philips.
I'll up the ante and add new axles to the deal just to keep Tom Mobley from getting his greedy hands on it. >:)

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, if I had a 66 12 bolt, it would be in the car already. What I have is a 71 12 bolt 2.73 open and a 69 12 bolt 4.10 posi. Funny thing a I had a 3.08 10 bolt posi out of a 66 El Camino and like a idiot I sold it twice for $125 each time.
The longer rear works better with the wheels I have on the car now, but won't work with the 8" ralleys, I may have found a set of 7's and if I can get them cheap enough I may put shorter, skinnier tires on the rallys and stick the 2.73 rear in the car. That's what I did on my 67 El Camino.
Or, just keep it old school and leave the drag lites on it and run the 4.10 posi. Maybe find a tunnel ram and leave the hood off. Jim

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's all about the complete package. The way the car is set up now there would be no advantage to spending money putting an odd ball rear end in it, a 66 12 bolt would be no question.

Spending money to purchase 7" wheels and give up 8" wheels makes no sense.

Buy some gas and go for a drive!!

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doing exactly that, sitting on the car at the.north end of the airbase fence watchingredients the old airplanes flying around. Jim

Reactions: senna

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
I'll up the ante and add new axles to the deal just to keep Tom Mobley from getting his greedy hands on it. >:)
Hey, I resemble that remark!!

But I do have a 66 Elky down at Philips. If I can off my 70 I'll get started on that 66.

Another GoodGuys in a month or so.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a call a couple days ago a guy wants to sell a 66 12 bolt. Too bad im so cheap, what I would have into it just doesn't justify saving 1 inch. Jim

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I call that "may as well" disease. If you do one thing, you may as well do something else and then if you are doing that, you may as well do the next thing and the next and the next.

And that's how ground up restorations are born. :D

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I have a coworker/friend that overthinks everything. Absolutely drives me nuts. Will not make a decision on anything without beating that dead horse to a pulp.

Your car runs and drives to your satisfaction at this point from your other posts. Upping the game with a 12 bolt only adds expense. You've said you don't race, so the added strength isn't necessary.

But if you're determined to do it, do it right by shortening the housing to 1966 length and adding 9" ends and new axles.

Devin

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He was in the 650-700 range. Tbis is for a bare housing. Jim

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to text him and thank him but pass. Unfortunately that seems to be a okay price now a days. Most 12 bolts are going to need new axles and usually the gears are the wrong ratio and not a posi. So your buying a housing anyway. Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts