Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the "Tear down and inspection" stage, more like I have to take this apart to get to this and when you do you add another $200 to $300 to the process and the first words out of your mouth are S*^$!!!!. I got to this point this last week taking apart my Chevelle,When you realize that you going in reverse and you have so much work to do that you feel like you will NEVER finish one thing! I guess I must push myself to keep going. Have any of you team members ever felt this way? I would like to hear some of the places and points of restoration that this took place.

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin Member #313
67' Chevelle Malibu Sleeper(Someday)

San Antonio, Texas

[This message has been edited by John Corbin (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well I sure know that feeling, I haven'st seen my car but once over thanksgiving, for over a year. I was susposed to do a whole bunch of work last christmas, then this past summer and now again over this winter break. Sufficing to say the more this drags on the more I feel I'm just going to snap and push the whole mess into the river.

But the National Bank of Mom tells me my $2500 loan is secure so I just keep waiting.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html--- currently sleeping

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every time I do something to my car it's like pulling teeth: lotsa pain and sweat and blood and not much to show for it but some gaping holes.

My latest snafu: front lower a arm is from a different car than my 68 and the brand new bushing kit can do nothing but sit and collect dust for the moment (grr!).

I get discouraged just about every time I work on my car, but at the end of the day I know it's my car and I can say that I've done everything right!

------------------
--Amanda :)

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

http://www.geocities.com/el_camino_ca/

"Sometimes the only reason to get out of bed in the morning is to wear a new shirt."

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
My 454 car is still using oil
after 3200 miles so it will probably have to come out. My remedy is I am going to build a 496 or better and flog the crap out of the motor in the car before I pull it
. This also pushes back the work on the other chevelle and I will probably kick the Monte to the curb......

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/ace841b.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/ace841c.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do I ever get discouraged?? How bout this..

Nice running Chevelle Malibu 350 2 barrel TH350.. runs great for about 2 weeks.. Then I blow the carb gasket, and the timing screws up for some reason.. No biggy, I'm putting a PERFORMER RPM and my Road Demon on it this weekend.. So. $500 bucks later, I've got one smooth running 350. quick to.. until I let it sit inthe driveway over night and it leaks almost an entire qt on the driveway.. Hmmm.. Maybe didn't get the gaskets right.. finally found the problem - valve cover gaskets.. Ok. Fix that. Car runs good. Oh-oh.. got white blue smoke out the tailpipe a week later.. Mysteriously goes away.. Hm.. ok. Driving it home from the 1/8 mile at 12pm, and the car dies and won't start.. Drag it home to find a jumped timing chain and trashed harmonic balancer.. Ok, so I spend the next weekend replacing all this and the fuel pump, water pump, etc... Car runs well once more.. Until.. on nice Friday nght (great way to start your weekend) I start trailing smoke.. I look like a freakin missile going down the road.. Pull over to find smoke pouring out the valve covers, dipstick tube, etc.. This s of course after my Edelbrock air cleaner cought in fire two days and got nice gooey burned foam all over the Chrome covers, and intake.. So the car smokes. Bummer. Guess I'll have to fix that too. But no.. the next day, I start pouring smoke out the tailpipe as well.. Well CRAP!!! Then Saturday night, I slam the car straight into a dip and it hurts the suspension BAD.. I knew th bushings need to be replaced, but there is no bushing, and the rod or whatever that is on the upper control arm, is now about 2 inches in the A arm.. and to top it all off.. the MOTOR MOUNTS gave way as I was pulling into the driveway!!! Fan start choppin away at thefan shroud, suckers knockin this way and that..

That's discouragement..

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

[This message has been edited by speedr8413 (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Lets put it in proper perspective, everything from electrical problems due to old wiring and dirty connectors to finding those parts that are not currently being reproduced tend to get you down. Or finding out that the previous owner didn't know what a torque wrench was when rebuilding.( Uugh, grunt,grunt,these bolts will never come loose as tight as I got em.) You just have to be patient and look forward to the end results.

Rick
67ss bb
TC# 326
But all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I give you guys credit on the long teardowns. I decided to keep theh current project (70 Malibu) driveable.
But i have had the fenders and hood off for about 6 months now.

But I stay encouraged with small projects that I can easily accomplish. Of course, I kow for everything I unbolt or repair there are two things that it touches that will need attention.

So, only advise I can give is to "work in the small" (project wise). They will add up. Just don't tkae your eye off the big picture.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.genxspeed.com/dg/chevy.htm [email protected]
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)
eBay username: dg98adams

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
John,

Can definately relate.

I started tearing apart my engine compartment and front end in the beg of Nov. It just seems like it's going to take forever. Sometimes I just stare at it all and wonder if I will have it back together by the summer. Years ago when I used to tear my cars apart I would have them done in a couple of weeks. Today being married with kids a long commute to work and a home to care for as well seems there is never any time. But as I clean and restore one small part and wrap it up in newspapaer or plastic and place it in a box for a later marriage with the rest of the parts, I feel like I have accomplished something and made a step in the right direction.

Although it is discouraging at times we have to remember that part of the fun is working on them. If there was nothing to do on them it could get boring, and of course the end result no matter how long it takes is usaully, and I say usaully, rewarding.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Eatontown, NJ
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Hoooo boy, can I ever complain. When I restored my 69 SS396 in 93-94, it started out as " just some deatiling under the hood " which led to " since everything is stripped off the motor; why don't I pull it for a better detailing job " which is immediately followed by " hey, another eight bolts and I can take the body off the frame! ".

I went through many frustrations, as has everyone else. I wrecked a perfectly good brake line, had a lot of people turn me away for plating and had a real time trying to get a storage unit to rent that would allow me to work on my car, not just store it there. Lots of late nights, busted knuckles, thinning patience and wallet followed. My reward? A frame off that I did myself, and a First Place trophy at my first show.

The 70 SS I am currently abandoning is a nightmare, and it's quicker to list what this car doesn't need as opposed to what it does. I've basically taken a bath on this one, but that's the way it goes. Discouraging? Absolutely. Will it stop me? Absolutely not. The frustration level is always there, it just has to be channeled in a positive manner towards your final goal, whether it is a show winner, Sunday driver or a blacktop butt stomper.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
John,
Welcome to the club! It seemed that every weekend after I bought my 72 I would come home broke, bleeding and wanting to sell the car. After a hot shower and a cold beer the wife would ask me how much I was going to sell it for. Sell it? Are you out of your mind? I just need more money to fix the (pick a part) and she'll be good to go! I just don't see me selling it though.

I think we all have been there whether ace mechanics or 10 thumb wonders like me.
kevin d

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I bought my chevelle 12 years ago with the intent of having it ready for the club show in about two years from that date. I started by pulling the body off the frame to replace the frame and it ballooned from there. I found a frame and the work commenced, shortened an elky frame, sandblasted and painted it,rebuilt the suspension over the next few years and many club shows have come and gone. I finally got the brake system installed and this year I rebuilt the muncie.I have tried to sell it a couple of times and i spend soooo much time helping other people with things that I don't have any time to work on my own stuff. YES I'm addicted. I can't help myself.
I got tired of waiting for something to drive, so I bought an 86 Monte Carlo SS to drive in nice weather.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Registered
314 Posts
One night in June of 1986, I was driving home late from the girlfriend's (now wife) house and I looked down and notice the oil pressure gauge playing tricks, I didn't notice the curve I was driving into. Crash, bham, totaled 71SS454. Do a thrash over next couple of months to rebuild car, new frame, sheetmetal, before going off to college. Finished car sits in parents field until (Fast forward to) 1993 (7 years)., I get married, buy a house, drag (literally) the car to its new resting place the garage. In such bad shape mechanically, I have to replace everything in every system. So I decide to redo the entire car. Tore into it (wife gets pregnant), stop working on it (kid one born, 1994). Now I have a frame on one side of the garage, shell in the other. kids two (1997) & three (1998) come.. nothing done to the car since taking apart in 1994. Move to larger house due to 3rd kid in 1998. Has seperate shop, all my stuff is real handy.. start to think it would be fun to get it all back together...so I buy a few parts over the net, things start to get more interesting, go to chevellebration 1999, get the urge to finish & ride, Aug. 1999 full steam ahead now.. the engine is in the shop, I'm taking to paint week after xmas, and hope to be riding by the summer. So 14 years after starting I should be finished. Discouraged along the way...hell yes, I would go look at the piles and just turn around and go inside, felt guilty about $'s, yes, but the kids have got food, shelter, and pokemon so they are set. Can I wait to ride - Hell No. Not anymore.. It will happen in 2000...
bottom line I have had more than one opportunity and several (little) reasons to bail out of the hobby... Just couldn't think about getting out....
sorry for the length... did I mention I take it for paint next week..

Jody
71SS454

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Case in point. One 81 malibu that has been sitting since 1990. Motor had a wrist pin knocking and needed paint. Family planed to fix up car and take to Super Chevy when done. Later that year a 65SS shows up in the driveway with a blown motor and needing restoration. Malibu gets put outside behind garage, 65 comes in for disassembly. Body and frame are seperated and work begins. Frame is completely redone including rearend and disk brakes. Somewhere along the way a family memeber's 64SS convertible is taken apart in the garage and is next to the 65. A 71SS conv is brought home and sits outside while 65 is being worked on. 64 is trailered off where it still sits today unfinished. Will it be finished? If I have a say in the matter it will be... Family goes to Ocean City Cruise and a vote is made on which car to finish 65vs71. Son is outvoted as mom and sis want the convertible done. Two years later 65 is still sitting outside while convertible has nice dry spot in garage under car cover. Son get's own projects first a 72 driver, then 81 wagon driver, and now a 70 malibu project. The 72 is giving up it's guts before it dies to the 70. 81 wagon is finally on road, but still needs some things like new trans, exhaust and body work. Ten years later the 81 has barely moved, the 65 is back outside and a few other cars have come into the household.

Don't worry you could be like us and be forever working on something. The good thing is that once you do it once it does get easier!

J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discouraged? Hell yeah...at times. Especially since the guy I traded my '72 Camino to was able to put plates on and drive it. Been two years working on my '67, but a couple of months ago, it roared back to life, thanks to a wife that is a gearhead and doesn't mind a seperate (albeit meager) budget for the Chevelle. So we have our own plates and we can drive it. Now comes all the body work. Christmas is coming...Santa was asked for some tools from Eastwood, and maybe a nice rollaway chest for all those tools laying around (I know where everything is) the garage. My point is, like someone else said; take your time, set short-term goals to keep the spirit and the interest up, and don't lose sight of the big picture. Your time will come.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Whoa, I guess whatever bit all these guys above me infected me as well.... I just bought a 68 to spruce up in November. A simple paint and clean has turned into pulling the engine and tranny and wondering if a tach dash can be wired into my current idiot light configuration. I have totally stripped the car to prep for paint, and am detailing/improving/customizing the 454 as it awaits the return of the shell in 3-4 months. 6 months ago I was a normal human being, now I have morphed into a gearhead!

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Nobody said it was going to be a cakewalk! But when its done and your driveing her you tend to forget all the bad.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hell no!!!!!! it's has to be a labor of love, i tore mine down every nut, bolt, clip, wire, etc. had to get away from it from time to time,it is mind boggling at times but try to do one thing at a time and finish, it keep records of everything, itemize parts, nuts, bolts, trim, mark wires, use your head
some day you'll get to put it all back together

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you work on cars & don't get discouraged, you don't really work on cars. After having the 67 sit for 7 months to have it leak on the driveway everyday now cause we forgot to replace the rear main seal when the engine was out & then have the rocker arms shot to s*&! cause the pushrods went through em cause of too much cam...it gets really discouraging, but you'll get through it. Like the time I broke my knuckles open...3 times in less than 5 minutes. That hurts & you want to give up, but you can't. When you get mad, go in your house & lay down. Go out the next day & try again. And most importantly have fun while you're doing it. Good luck. Welcome to the world of classic cars.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can't look at working on you car as work. I look at it as therapy. You see I have a wife and 3 kids (all girls). It's not that I don't love them but I have to get into my own world every once in a while, so I march off into the garage to work on the car. (Whenever my wife complains I tell her I could be in some bar drinking). I started taking my car apart about 15 years ago. I put it back on the road last week and my wife thinks I will have nothing to do now that the car is done. She is planning a new kitchen and a 3 bedroom dormer this summer. Every time she starts talking about the house I tell her the car is not done yet and I slip off into the garage. I don't know how long I can milk this car thing for but I will push it as long as I can. If it wasn't for that car I would have killed mtself long ago. You single guy's can't relate yet but you will someday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.