Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on engine and drivetrains earlier today and got no response, so I am going to try here.
I want to take the 4:10 gears out as I have to do a lot of driving on the highway to go anywhere. (I live in the sticks!) I want to go to a set of 3:4 or 3:2 gears. I have a 3000 stall in the car right now. I was wondering your opinions on if the 3000 stall would create a heat problem due to too much slippage. Thanks in advance. Terry

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think for mostly freeway driving and getting good gas milage(if you have a th400 or th350 tranny)a 3.08 rear gear would be good.with the lower rpm's a lower stall converter would benefit you more either stock or up to maybe 2000 stall.if you want to grudge race thats a different story.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Either 3:31's or 3:08's will need you to change from a 3000 rpm stall to a 2000 or 2200 rpm stall.

3:08's with normal height tires will do 55 mph @ 2300 rpm.

RLK

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.What problems would I encounter were I to leave the 3000 stall in there, and went to a set of 3:42's

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I ran a 10" GER converter with a 3.08 gear and never had any problem. I ran a large tranny cooler and a deep pan for insurance.

Wes

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcice:
Thanks guys.What problems would I encounter were I to leave the 3000 stall in there, and went to a set of 3:42's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.