1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a JVC Stereo that is a 22x4 watt. My new speakers consist of:
dual center mount dash spkr 2 spkr @60 watts each=120 watt
kick panel speakers 2 @80 watts each= 160 watts
rear deck 6x9's [email protected] watts each- 240 watts.
Thats a grand total of 520 watts.
Do I really need an amplifier and if so what would work best, crisp loud sound, with little distortion. I'll need to be able to hear it over my 40 series flowmasters.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You're only adding up speaker maximum rating before nuclear meltdown. Your lowest rated speakers are 60 watt. You already have a deck that's capable of 22 watts per channel. Might get a little more into those speakers but not that much more.
Does your present deck have provisions on the back for an external amplifier? Might want to check with a local Audio store about your options.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I knew I could count on a quick answer from you. I've never been "sound system" literate.
Rob

·
Registered
186 Posts
First of all, you're comparing apples to oranges. Your 22x4 is rms, and the other numbers are max output and max wattage. you're stereo's max wattage is probably around 40-45, but i would get rid of the jvc. look on the back of the stereo and see if there are rca hookups (like on a tv, vcr or playstation). if there are, then you can easily put in an amp, which i would reccomend for the two 6x9's at least. but don't get confused about the max wattage and rms when buying one, and don't max out the speakers. you'll want them to last a long time. with all that power in the old car, you might want to look into some sort of capacitor as well. good luck. and IMHO, get a kenwood amp, and diff head unit.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice Don. The JVC was a freebie and is a dual knob unit (no carving up the dash).
What is rms, and its function in this application.
I don't have any rca hook-ups, so short of a new reciever, can an amp be installed?
Rob

·
Registered
437 Posts
The only way to add an amp is to use line level input, which I would not recommend. Best bet is to wire it up, and go.

Joe

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can get a speaker level to line level adapter.

The deck is rated as 4 x 22W but that won't be the same "wattage" output as even a good 22W amp. I haven't heard a headunit that produced good clean output like a decent amp will (any kenwood, alpine, sony etc). There are some big headunits that have an amp built in but I've never physically seen them.

You don't need an amp that matches the rating of the speakers. I would think about using about 40W to the kicks and 80W to the 6x9's. Either find a 4 channel 60-80 watt amp or get a 40W and a 80W amp. Probably the best compromise is a 4 x 60W amp.

Look at the following link for some amp examples. You're looking for 4 channel amps and not the 60Wx2 + 100Wx1 ones because the x1 output is for a sub. Another good feature to look for is a high pass filter for the fronts. It will remove some of the bass which keeps you from killing the speakers and without the bass they will play cleaner and louder too. Save the bass for the 6x9's.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-65bbDNhZoQz/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=120&s=0&cc=01&avf=N

Here's 2 examples of converters. You don't need 2 because you can Y the left and right outputs to both of the amplifier inputs. The only thing you lose is the fader control of the amp. With 2, you'd run the front deck outputs to the front amp channels and back to back so the fader controls front to back.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-65bbDNhZoQz/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=721&I=101PL2&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15346519&St=7723&St2=-85557804&St3=-33927522&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15718&DID=7

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts