Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing my TH350, but it wont come out. Should I massage the floor, or try lifting the engine out? I'm going to be putting a TCI TH400 in, so should I massage the pan? Ohh...minor thing...HOW do you massage the floor pan??? TIA

DJ

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,119 Posts
DJ

Hate to ask the obvous, but did you remove the crossmember? You need a jack under the deep part of the oil pan so you can let the back of the engine down, AFTER removing the distributor cap and loosening the fan shroud.

The tranny should come right out if everything is ready, this is not a problem area.

>>HOW do you massage the floor pan??? TIA

With a big hammer, how else? But, the TH400 was a factory option in Chevelles, your floor pan shouldn't need any massaging. What year is your car?

Here's the big gotcha, tranny cooler lines. It's often extremely difficult to install them after the tranny is in and all bolted up. I believe 400 lines are different from 350 lines enough so that your old lines won't work. You might might to check into this some. Maybe somebody who's done this swap recently can give clue here.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 67 EL Camino, right now, the crossmember, driveshaft and all 6 tranny bolts are out. When I attempt to pull on the tranny one of the bolt flanges on the drivers side hits the pan, so it just cant quite get out. Its soooo close. Just a thought, how much are new cooler lines? The TH400 will be here next week, so I gotta move. Should I maybe rent a cherry picker?
Thanks

DJ

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do you have the bolts out of the torque converter to flexplate? Take all out in one piece. Be sure to put on the torque conv. onto the 400 turbo first to insure the pump engagement. Drop down the rear of the engine if you need more clearance. If the exhaust is holding up the engine, might need to loosen some bolts there too. (I like those 67s)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.