Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i call em thugs of the sky..never alone always in groups, pita. Super smart.

I have a street light post in my backyard for the alley behind...2 red tail hawks usually post up there, occasionally an owl at night to hunt in the empty acreage behind the house.

Seen groups of crows continually harass the hawks...if they take to the air they try to literally knock them out of flight.
The hawks gave birth to a handful and have found a few dead this week.
Once in a blue moon Ill see an eagle up there but not often.

Once or twice a yr we will get swarmed with a cloud of crows, major pain.
So what purpose do these birds serve...I dont suppose there is some way to make them uninterested in coming around?

Registered
Thier purpose is target practice!! Seriously though, they are a pain in the ars.
From the MI DNR website:
There's no bag limit on crows but hunters that want to pursue them must have a small game license. Crows may be taken outside the open season during hunting hours, in compliance with federal regulations, if the birds are causing a nuisance or creating a health hazard

BTW - they are always causing a nuisance. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At my last place (apt, 2nd floor w/balcony) residents started throwing food scraps & feeding them. 200 yrs away they nested up in HUGE groups in some old trees..Tough to sleep (worked graves) for sure.

So I threw some pebbles/small rocks down..They would pick them up and drop them 40 ft away in the field.
1 in particular would pick the rock up land on my railing and drop it then squawk like hell. Smart suckers
Would like to excerise this Daisy bb/pellet gun but in todays day and age Id get in trouble and be called a big meanie.

Id think the hawk could gain altitude out of their range..just not quick enough. Bastards lol

Registered
My problem was the crows eating berries and dropping crap on the cars. They seemed to intentionally target the cars with purple rain. The problem went on for quite awhile. Shoot them and let the body lie. Others will come to aid the dead body. Shoot them as well and let them lie, they will get the message - they are smart. They can recognize people. There is a PBS documentary on just how smart they are.

Crows : Documentary on The Intelligent World of Crows (Full Documentary)

edit - added above link

Premium Member
We have a ravine area a few house away. There are a lot of trees. The flock comes in slowly, but fills up what looks like every branch. I usually just light off a whistling bottle rocket. Sends the whole flock away for the season

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will have to watch they are indeed very smart.
Seem to harass any pet, bird just for the hell of it. No rhyme or reason; they never sit on the perch the hawks use just run them off and attack them.

Never heard of that omen..where does that come from (curious)
Heard black cats are bad luck...had 2 & life crumbled ever since. Not supersitious but maybe there something to all that.

Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.23 posi
Yes, they are smart. Long ago, I read in a hunting magazine that they can count to three. In other words, they can remember where three hunters are hiding, so you have to go hunting with a fourth so he can POW! They also post sentinels that are on watch and call out if they see something suspicious.

BTW - when I lived in Sardinia, my neighbors had a pet crow that talked. He freely roamed the property like a chicken, ate from a bowl with cats, did not fly far (maybe clipped wings), and always seemed to get out of the way of playing children, bikes, balls. Until one day..
Neighbor lady backed over him in her Lancia.

One purpose I see: they try to keep our roads clean by eating trash and carrion.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They also post sentinels that are on watch and call out if they see something suspicious.
Observed that and had a laugh.

Leave a bag of trash out & if any are nearby the contents will be everywhere the following morning.

Registered
Will have to watch they are indeed very smart.
Seem to harass any pet, bird just for the hell of it. No rhyme or reason; they never sit on the perch the hawks use just run them off and attack them.

Never heard of that omen..where does that come from (curious)
Heard black cats are bad luck...had 2 & life crumbled ever since. Not supersitious but maybe there something to all that.
Crows and ravens have all sorts of bad luck, bad omen, good luck superstitious meanings.
I don't really put much stock into that kinda thing. But some do.
Personally i dont think that they generally hurting anything.

Premium Member
Most animals serve some purpose. Crows are no different.
Exceptions include The Kardashians and crazy ex-girlfriends/wives.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts