Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ,, I have an 68 El cam,,12 bolt posi rear end and have an right rear axel seal leakin,,I talked with mechanic today and he said that they do leak! Has anyone had similar problems with them? I asked him if I could eliminate them and go back to a C-clip (stock) set up and he advised me that it couldnt be done without ruining the housing! Im a bit confused to say the least on what I should do now ,,,,I really like the car and would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks alot Loner.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do like I am going to have to do and just replace the seal. theoretically its easier than the stock setup.. check out this link to my previous post about the same thing: http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003168.html

You dont even have to remove the diff-cover if you jack up one side enough for all the fluid to run to the other half.. pull the axle out replace seal, reinstall axle and boom if you're still good on your fluid level you're done.

the only thing Im not sure on is if you need a special seal or if the stock type seal can be used.. if anyone knows let US know!

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Mike ! howdy umm I just wana thank You for tryin to help me out! Like I said,this guy that I talked with, that does rear ends said,,,C-Clip eliminators leak,, I mean how often would a person have to replace the axel seal???? Every 4,000 miles? every 7,000 or say every 10,000 miles????? kinda sounds like a hassle to me! and what if You are on like a vacation or somthing ,and it happens ?? What I am getting at Mike IS if they are prone to leak easily then what good are they really? What do You think? Mabey Im lazy,,but I wana be able to drive My Elky not be changin axel seals all the time !! Any thoughs? Loner.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have never heard of anyone saying that they are [more] prone to leaking.. I would call Strange and ask them. No way should they last less than 10K miles.... the thing is, when they do start leaking, they dont just open like a flood gate, so if you're on vacation you'll be ok.... for instance ive been driving mine with both axles and the pinion leaking for approx. 1500 miles. I havent changed mine yet so there is a chance the seal is a different type but a seal is a seal so should be just like a standard rear end.

the gear oil DOES make the rear brakes completely useless though but since I have PDB in the front I almost dont notice it...

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes they do leak and maintenance on seals and gaskets is continuous. I would save some money and install ford axles with the pressed bearing, or sell that rearend for big money and build a stocker, if the leak repair will be a hassel. C-clip elimintors have to many sealing surfaces. Repair it monitor it and see how long they last.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Loner, I had Strange safety hubs (c-clip eliminators for 'stock' 12 bolt axles)installed on my 70' and have had zero leaks from the set-up. My question to you would be what type of safety hub do you have? Does it appear to be somewhat square shaped and is it billit aluminum? If so, then these safety hubs MUST be sealed against the rear brake backing plate AND the axle tube ends' with a Permatex type sealant. We used the Permatex 'red' RTV sealant on all surfaces (about 1/8 thick), bolted it together and it hasn't leaked since.

What likely happened in your case is that the safety hubs were installed, but then the assembly was not sealed with any sealant and all you have is raw metal to metal acting as your seal - it will for sure leak like that, especially when the car makes some tight turns and gear oil gets sloshed toward the ends of the axle tubes.

I am not aware of a rubber seal or gasket supplied by Strange to seal the safety hub to the axle tube/brake hub assembly. However, there IS a rubber seal towards the middle of the two-peice safety hub itself, and that acts as a seal around the axle.

I think your best bet is to pull each axle one at a time, clean up all mounting surfaces with brake cleaner and apply the Permatex sealant on all surfaces and then re-assemble - that should take care of any
leaks. Hope this helps!

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

L

·
0 Posts
What I was told by someone who sells Strange C-clip Eliminators (can't remember who) was that they'll leak within a few thousand miles. This gave me concern. The rear on my Chevelle hasn't leaked in 30 years, so I really don't want to put something on that may leak every summer or so. I'm still up in the air on this...though i'd love to have the peace of mind that Eliminators would give...especially with trips to the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.