Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory bench in my '70 Elky seemed to sit me higher more than my friend buckets do in his '70 Elky. Is this true, or am I just dreaming? Thank you for your time.

------------------
Cable Bright
-'70 El Camino 383
(Drag Project)
-'91 Caprice 9C1 TBI 383
(not you granny's car!!)
-Odd Ball Racing (owner)
"....after all, people just want a normal life and a cool car....most people settle for the car."

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The only way to make a fair comparison(in my mind) would be when the cars were new. My impression was that the buckets sat a little lower. Today, you're dealing with sagging foam, sagging springs, Resto foam which is not the same product as the original, softer vinyl on the resto covers than original (Yes, it does make a difference)as well as some othern factors. Difficult to make a good comparison.
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
One thing I can say. the repo seat foam I used from NPD raised my seat height dramatically. The old foam was in very bad condition and not original though. Also, I replaced the bottom seat spring on one side which raised the seat height even more. I ended up using the seat with the old spring to keep my head out of the headliner and put the other on the passenger side. I may still take the seats back to the trim shop and cut the foam down to get my seat height back where I like it.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.JPG

·
Registered
934 Posts
I believe the buckets do sit lower. I put them in my '72 and I feel like im sitting on the floor compared to my old bench. My '69's bench makes me feel like im sitting in a chair. Maybe they were even higher in that year?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I think the buckets are a little lower..
I have a bench in my car, But while i was in Canada this summer, I got to sit in Ron's car (Bow_Tied).
He has buckets, and i really liked them.
It didn't bother me the height of them really..
But i do think they are about an inch or so lower...

Thanks Ron

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought so, I would of just kept the bench seat, but I can't stand that feeling that my hair is nearly touching the headliner.

Cable Bright

------------------
Cable Bright
-'70 El Camino 383
(Drag Project)
-'91 Caprice 9C1 TBI 383
(not you granny's car!!)
-Odd Ball Racing (owner)
"....after all, people just want a normal life and a cool car....most people settle for the car."

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The buckets ARE lower, at least in 1970. When my girlfriend, my wife now, went to look at Chevelles, she had her heart set on buckets. The salesman had her sit in one with buckets, and she had trouble seeing over the wheel, she being 4'11", long legs, but short torso. Then, she tried a Chevelle with bench seats and she had no trouble. She tried a number of Chevelles at the dealer, that day, with the same results. Wound up buying one with bench seats. I also ordered mine in 1970 with bench seats and about 4 years ago converted to buckets. The buckets are lower!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts