Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived for a muscle car with chrome valve covers, and then someone tells me they ARE gonna leak. Is that true??? What are the best (non-leaking) gaskets to use? STREET USE ONLY. I hear enough on the street to make my head spin. THANKS for your assist!!

------------------

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Buy a good valve cover and use the best gasket and u wont have a problem, the ones u have problems with are the $19.99 valve covers that are warped before u put them on, then a cheap gasket will turn on the oil faucet, get good covers and use a felpro gasket and youll b fine, L89SEDAN

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I have new original type valve covers on my Chevelle. I got the valve cover gaskets from NAPA and never had any problems.
Luis!! 70SS

·
Registered
339 Posts
One thing that really works on this. Make sure covers are straight, especially at the bolt holes. Use new gasket and put a thin layer of blue silicone sealer on each side of the gasket. Tighten lightly, don't really put a lot of torque on the bolts. Won't leak. tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
My valve covers have never leaked. The ones I now have on my 396 are chrome from a Chevorlet dealer. About $85. I use double thick gaskets (not 2 gaskets) Copper Coat (brand name) gasket to valve cover only. Read the can, and use longer stainless steel bolts or screws and lock washers. I don't use silcone (sp?), little balls can get in your oil and plug up oil passages.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I wouldn't think they would be any more prone to leaking/warping than regular stamped steel ones, would they? About the only thing I can add is be careful not to over tighten them. They just need to be a little past snug.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Try out a set of AC Delco "Chevrolet" inscripted valve covers. I have a set on my small block and haven't had an oil leak yet. I use standard cork gaskets with extra wide (3.5") hold down tabs to spread the load better. They look great, carry our favorite bow-tie logo and definitely work. Cost from Summit is around $45 for the tall ones.

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bob, Chevrolet sends out many cars with chrome valve covers... stock. Make sure you get a good pair, and like Gene said... Just a little tighter than snug should do. They usually leak when people start to torque em' down too much and bend them! Thats when the leaks start.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
For your big block, Chevrolet sells a steel-reinforced gasket that is resuable and will last for ever. The part number is 14085759. They are listed in the Chevrolet High Performance parts book (if you don't already have one, get one from your Chevrolet parts dealer). The gaskets cost around $45 a pair, and will not leak,,, ever...

·
Registered
356 Posts
The GM Performance parts valve covers are the way to go. They have thicker gauge steel and the chrome appears to be of better quality than some of the other valve covers out there. You can get them with or w/o the Chevy logo in tall or short heights. I got a short set w/ the logo for $40 and am very satisfied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ihad the same problem with my small block and Edelbrock valve covers. The cure for me was to buy a set of extra thick cover gaskets and a thin coating of RTV. I also use the wide custom hold downs. This has worked for me - no leaks in 6 months.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
One trick you may want to try if you have to remove the valve covers once in a while. Use RTV sealant to seal the side going towards the valve cover. Coat the side going towards the head lightly with grease. My valve covers don't leak, and have been removed 3 or 4 times without having to replace them.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Cheap covers and too much torque are the problem - cast aluminum valve covers (Edelbrock, etc) are the final solution.

------------------

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used standard gaskets with the wide reenforcements glued the gaskets to the covers with 3M weather striping cement they have been off about 3 times in 3yrs no leaks.I also restrict the oil flow to the rockers so there is not as much oil up there...FRED

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too use the Chevrolet script valve covers. Installed w/ a thin coat of RTV on the valve cover side, just enough to "glue" the gasket onto the valve cover. I agree w/ previous posts about silicone clogging oil galleys, but only if it's used excessively. I have used silicone for years w/ no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's all about moroso valve cover gaskets. i have chrome valve covers on my engine, and they have always leaked. once i got these great, but spendy, reusable blue valve cover gaskets from moroso, they have never leaked since.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I think my answer would be waaaay to cynical to post here.
Its like anything else. Theres no magic to it. Most important I suppose is not to torque 'em down like so many tend to do. Its basic mechanical work. Too much isnt good this time!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.