Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is pretty much a standard option for a car that comes with factory air to have factory tinted glass?

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Tinted glass and A/C were certainly common together. The tinted glass helped to lessen the load that the factory AC had to provide.
Most everything I've seen implied tinted glass was mandatory with A/C - of course, then I found the exception, my 67 has factory air and clear glass. The original owner was a bit surprised when he took delivery, he too expected it - the salesman said it wasn't checked off when he ordered the car so it never came with it. Odd. I believe this is rare as every other one that I've seen with air had tint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 67 SS 396 with A/C has all soft-ray (tinted) glass, but I have seen two 67 wagons with A/C and no tinted glass. I have a copy of the 67 Price & Facts book (pocket-sized book for car salesmen listing standard features and option equipment), and for option code C60, it says: "Air Conditioning, Four Season - Heater and air conditioner combined. Includes Heavy-Duty Radiator, Temperature-Controlled Fan, and 61-ampere Delcotron Generator. 7.75 x 14 or larger tires must be ordered where they are not standard equipment." There is no mention of tinted glass being required. I believe it was highly recommended, but not required.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Paul

My parents had to pay extra for the tinted glass in our 68. Hope this helps.

------------------
Harold Gordon
Team Chevelle #131 Gold
ACES #403
NCOA #8797
1968 300DLX 2DR Sedan

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Looking at my GM *Restoration Kit* for a 67, a/c only *required* a specific tire size (based on engine) and came with 61-amp alt, h/d radiator, and temp controlled fan. No mention of tinted glass.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
When my dad ordered his '70 new in fall 1969, he specified A/C, but did not order or specify anything related to tinted glass. When the car was delievered, it came with ALL windows tinted.

I firmly believe this was a "factory default", there are always exceptions, but if a car was ordered with A/C, the factory "automatically" produced the vehicle with tinted glass.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think Chevrolet made the tinted windows a seperate option from the A/C option in the 60's.The two didn't always go hand in hand.But starting in 1969-70 it looks like if A/C was ordered the car got the tinted windows option automatically.Regardless if customer checked it off or not.This is from what I have seen and from all the documents of those cars I have seen.The more into the 70's you go,the more cars got tinted and A/C together.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
162 Posts
The GM resto packet for 65 Chevelle says that factory AC (C60) includes a tinted winshield. True for my car. Maybe the tinted winshield was made separate for later years?

·
Registered
95 Posts
my '70 Elcamnio SS has factory air & tinted glass...has it on the build sheet also.

------------------
jim #899

68 SS396 CHEVELLE CONVERTIBLE
70 SS396 ELCAMINO

cars, guns & guitars.....& beer...
it doesn't get much better than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.