Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still running points and condenser in a 1971 malibu 350 ci.Whats the best replacement for stock application-thanks

·
Registered
877 Posts
Most people I know have gone to the PerTronix Ignitor Electronic Ignition module (I or II). This is just a small electronic (sensor) pickup, etc, that replaces the points. There are two types, one that can be installed without removing the dist, while the other type needs to have the Dist removed to be installed. We installed the 1181 into my brother's camaro in less than an hour. It's been running fine, and that's been several years now. I tried to talk him into the 1975 to 1980 HEI with vacuum advance, as I feel that's the way to go. He didn't want to purchase new wires, so that killed tha idea. If you decide to go with the HEI, remember, it has a much larger diameter. Also, if you go with the HEI, you have to take care of the coil (resistor)wire.

Fred.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
Some intakes such as the Edelbrock SP2P set the carburetor farther back and the breather will interfere with the HEI. Something you might want to mock up before the install.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.Think I'll send it down to california and have Dave do his magic.Happy Thanksgiving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts