Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with my L34/TH400 popping. It started out on deceleration only, but now it will even pop a little under load. My suspicion is a wiped cam lobe but before I have the engine torn into, I want to eliminate the "easy" stuff first.

I've ruled out exhaust manifold leaks and I've had the carburetor gone through. The next step is to have the distributor gone over to make sure that it isn't a timing/ignition problem.

A fellow TC member that I have a lot of respect for has recommended a mechanic in my area from the old school who supposedly knows Chevelles inside and out. I spoke to him yesterday about making an appointment to dial in the distributor and when I asked him his rate, he told me $90 an hour. It sounds pretty high to me but I don't know if that's a fair and going rate or not. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
14,295 Posts
Most of the dealers around here charge $100 p/h, before any parts are installed. Sounds fair to me, most of what you are paying for is expertise, you want an expert working on your car don't you?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Rich, you stated you thought you wiped a cam lobe,
What kind of oil is in the motor? and Was this a flat tappet hydraulic or solid lifter and What spring tension is installed on your valves?
Thanks,
Roland

1 - 3 of 3 Posts