Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes,

If it rotates in the direction of a clock's hands (like your distributor) it's clockwise other wise it's counter-clockwise. Can you imagine the confusion the younger "digital clock" generation is gong to have with this one?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
It doesn't matter if you're looking from the front, back , or sides...as long as you are looking down at it, clockwise is clockwise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To ID the rotation of a vacuum advance distributor, look down onto the top of the distributor with the vacuum advance pointing twords forward. The vacuum advance will be offset, either to the left or right of center of the distributor. If the vacuum advance is on the left side from center, the distribotor turns clockwise (right), and vice versa for the other side.

Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet turn clockwise (right), Oldsmoblie, Pontiac turn counter-clockwise (left).

Ford counter-clockwise (left)

AMC clockwise (right)

Mopar
Small block clockwise (right)
Big block B-RB counter-clockwise (left)

You didn't specify an engine, so I put 'em all in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN SOMEDAY AND IT DID! That's what happens when we went digital everything. Now these youngins don't know what clock/counter clockwise is.

------------------
Tom Parsons

W

·
0 Posts
What about the two gear gear drives that GM used? That kind of skews the chevy is always clockwise deal.

Then there is the reverse rotation marine mortors, big and small block. Motor runs counter clockwise, distributor runs clockwise. Cams a ground different, starter is different, very strange.

I always wondered about the oil pump in reverse rotation motors?

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since all oil pumps turn same, clockwise, even with a reverse rotation cam/engine, the gear(s) cuts on cam and distributor allow the distributor and oil pump to rotate same as regular rotation, clockwise.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AAHHH, good info. That explains it. Wasn't sure about the oil pumps and such in the newer reverse rotation engines. I knew the pumps were the same but never gave any thought how it all worked together, older stlye pump with reverse rotation other pieces. I like learning things!

·
Registered
235 Posts
DZ,

When I got my Chevelle, I mentioned to my daughter that even the clock still works. She looked at the dash and asked "Where?" I had to point out it wasn't a digital clock. We had a good laugh over that one.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

·
Registered
71 Posts
To expand on what '65Z-16 was saying, regardless of whether or not you can tell time
,the direction of rotation will always be away from the vacuum advance. Imagine blowing into the vacuum port, the force of air would(if it could)turn the distributer in it's normal direction.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.