Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
popped the question before about buying a spark box...wise decision and wise advice from everyone. My car runs so smooth I think it should be churning out butter. My questions:
I installed the Mallory spark box the 100 dollar model, no limiting and have a Accel coil, the big ugly yellow and brown one, and a Mallory Unilite distrib. and a ballast resistor. Now, with the ballast resistor wired in to the system, the car will not start...just errrrrr eerrrrrr.
We disconnect the one wire from the ballast to the coil and the car starts right up like new. Then turning the key to the off position, does not actually turn the motor off, it stays running. Placing the wire back to the ballast resistor makes the motor turn off. So, I guess my question is, do I need to keep the ballast resistor? And will the diode supplied with the spark box solve my problem of the car still running with the key off. I have an external regulator and according to the spark box directions, they say to splice it into wire #4 of the external regulator.. Is this correct? And how should I go about this procedure? And should I loose the external regulator?
Sorry for all the questions and long post
Mark

------------------
What do you mean
you've had that car for
20 years?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you are hooking up your coil to the original resistor wire, you don't need the balist resistor for the coil. It's one or the other.
The diode will stop the engine run-on problem. It goes into the circuit the same way MSD shows it. Here are the instrutions: www.msdignition.com

Go to INSTRUCTION DOWNLOAD
Click on that
Click on MSD 6 SERIES
Download that file. The wiring instruction for fixing the problem are on page 8. You need to put it in the same way as the picture shows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,
headed out to give it a go.
I couldnt' find a Mallory website and there seems to be more manual regarding installation on the MSD site than I received with the Mallory spark box. WIll let you know in a few hours what happend.

------------------
What do you mean
you've had that car for
20 years?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts