Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,860 Posts
:cool: That wire is an internal ground wire. It should connect to the underside of the screw that holds the points in place (at least that's how it is on my '69).

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
that wire is critical to points ignition. make sure it's good and well connected on both ends. Without it a points car will exhibit all kinds of symptoms because it's trying to ground the primary side (which causes the coil to deliver a spark) through the pivot bushing at the center of the points plate. Not a good ground.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:cool: That wire is an internal ground wire. It should connect to the underside of the screw that holds the points in place (at least that's how it is on my '69).
Thanks Bruce,
So, your thinkin it should be connected to the screw right above the screw where it's still got a intact connection ?

Without it a points car will exhibit all kinds of symptoms because it's trying to ground the primary side
Thanks Tom,
so I may have found my surging issue :thumbsup:

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
yes, you may well have. I looked at a couple point distributors I still have, one end of that wire is under the screw that holds the points down, the other is under a screw on the vacuum advance.

Last time I worked on a car with that wire broken the thing would barely run.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys ...now bare with me,this will be a little lengthy, but I believe I've gotten to the bottom of this, which may not seem to be much to you guys, as most of you probably did this 1000's of times, not me though...but after figuring it out, it made me feel good:)

I'm no mechanic and as simple as this may be....unless you've done it before,you can sound like an idiot,and I probably do.
I only wish I was a gearhead when I was younger and I probably would have worked on cars that were as simple as these to work on and not be trying to figure this stuff out for the first time on a classic at age 49.

Anyway,
Tom,
after reading your response about the car barely running.....I started thinking maybe we had our wires crossed :D, as mine ran pretty well other than the slight surging at steady throttle while cruising...but not during acceleration or Idle.

I looked at the picture I posted and began to wonder if you guys thought that the wire that was broken was part of the same wire connected up top,and started to wonder myself it was ...and that the other end was hanging down into the distributor more, so while at work all day I couldn't wait to get home and give it a tug and see..... well it wasn't, as I'm sure you knew.

Sooooo, I figured I'd give the Chasis service manual a peak to see if something in there would help.... I looked at some pictures...then looked at the dist....then looked at the pictures ...then looked at the dist :D ,still a little confused, I took the rotor off and noticed there was no condensor at the back of the distributor as shown in the pictures in the book ....
I then realized it had one of them there newfangled points/condensor unit assembly...,

I'm then thinking when the points were changed, the wire leading from the old condensor was broken and they just left it attached...but the picture shows it attached up front where the other wire was
soooo I looked at the pictures again & then the dist and then the pictures again, I decided to pull the points off.....and there it was the broken connection where the wire was supposed to be attached...after going back to the book again, low and behold...there it was, yet a third wire that's attached to the breaker plate, I got it all figured out :hurray::D

The wire that was broken, runs from the breaker plate to the vacuum advance, the two wires that connect to the front of the points as shown here, the lead is the wire that runs through the bottom of the dist and connects to the coil and the other is the condensor.

Maybe there's some other dummies like me that this will help.

thanks guys !!!

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
yeppers, you got it.

regardless of where the condensor is and how it's connected there has to be a good ground between the points plate (breaker plate) and the distributor body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts