Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you wiring gurus i need ya. On my 67 i am going to an hei or similar and need to know what/how wire to replace, is it the white material covered wire and do i just cut it out and replace it? As far as the regulator i want a good high output alternator with a built in reg. can the reg. wires just be cut and removed or what needs to be done and what else needs up-grading while i've got the harnesses out? Thanks for the time guys! Ralph

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys i searched and found most of what i need. Is there an easy way to pull the plug where the resister wire goes into the main plug so i can change the wire, and what gauge wire should i replace it with? Ralph

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
Ya think an HEI really needs a wire that big?
I used 14 gauge from the bulkhead connector (which I thought was over kill.
I'm thinking that an HEI in the newer GM cars maybe had 16 gauge or smaller wire to the "BAT" terminal.

I wonder how many amps a stock HEI coil draws??
Anyone Know?

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by Dean:
Ya think an HEI really needs a wire that big?
I used 14 gauge from the bulkhead connector (which I thought was over kill.
I'm thinking that an HEI in the newer GM cars maybe had 16 gauge or smaller wire to the "BAT" terminal.

I wonder how many amps a stock HEI coil draws??
Anyone Know?
I doubt it draws much, thought 12 was mentioned more than once around here, maybe not. I wouldn't think it would draw more than a couple amps but I don't know. Could do a search for HEI, the subjects been discussed enough times. Where's Muha?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
The AVERAGE amperage draw is pretty low, but the INSTANTANIOUS amp draw is big. You need to have enough capacity for the peaks, and that means 12 gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts