Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a killer sound system and great rear speakers, but I'm real tired of the stock, single speaker in the front dash. I'd really like to install front speakers somewhere discretely. I've heard that depending on the options, a Chevelle could have speakers mounted in the kick panels.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are speakers available in the resto catalogs that have two speakers that will fit in the factory one speaker hole. That would be the most discreet, but probably not the highest wattage speakers around. I have also seen kick panels with speakers in the same catalogs. Hope this helps.

Greg

------------------
No replacement for displacement!!
1969 Chevelle SS396
325hp/396 with Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 dual feed Holley, headers, HEI, Forged Steel Crank, M21 , 3.08 gears, and posi.
One day... a Mustang Killer!
My 69 SS

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Normally the replacement speakers for the dash are two small 3 inch speakers mounted on a erecter-set style frame. Not to mock the resto-companies that sell them, but the speakers are pretty sucky, you could probably buy better ones at radioshack. A better bet would be to put them behind the vent screens in the kick panels (if you have them and dont mind giving up the breeze) these will allow you to mount 6x9's in the front for some pretty nice sound.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought an inexpensive pair of AutoSound speakers that were mounted on a board that fit in place of the single center speaker. I realized that I wasn't going to get the highest quality from my set up but they sounded absolutely awful.

I went down to my local audio store and found a pair of great Polk speakers. I think they were around $75 for the pair so they weren't terrible expensive. They were 4x6s. After a trip to Home Depot for some thin MDF (medium density fiberboard), I made a similar mounting board for my new speakers. They are side-by-side and i covered them with speaker cloth to prevent anything from falling into the cones. When installed, they overlap the dash hole just a bit but not much. I don't get any stereo separation in the front but the sound is great. What ever speakers you select, try to get ones that have a respectible low response because otherwise, your only bass will be coming for the rear.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Redrum they have great systems. I bought the radio and cd changer for 500.00 and it sounds great. I highly recomend this Co.

Autosound KNW-801
shown in '69-'72 Chevelle Available for most vehicles
CD Changer Ready
This radio is Kenwood compatible. It will control all functions of Kenwood's 6 or 10 disc CD changers from the buttons on the radio. This model is a 'clone' of the Kenwood KRC-3006 radio discontinued by Kenwood.
AM/FM - Auto Reverse Cassette - Music Search - 60 watts - Separate Bass & Treble - Digital Clock- RCA pre-outs Power Fader - Seek & Scan Tuning - Fader - Power Antenna lead - Fast Forward and Rewind - 18 Station pre-sets - European Frequency capable (built in) - Black or Chrome Face Available
Description SKU # Price
radio only KNW-801 $289.95
10 disc changer KNW-800 $349.00
Radio+Changer KNW-801PK $559.00

502 Bob

------------------
69 Z-502
Body by Fisher and Customized by Fisher
www.mobiletools1.com

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
I have a pair of 3 way surface mount speakers under my bucket seats..they sound mint..got 'em from Radio Shack,didn't even have to drill any holes.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Dave,
get another set of kicks and take to your local audio dealer and have them re-make them into panels with a nice pair of 6" woofers. A good dealer can make forms and glass them in. then add in a pair of surface mounted tweeters. this will round out your front sound. maybe even add a small 8" sub in the trunk to add some depth to your system.
good luck

Sandman

·
Registered
249 Posts
In the '68, there is plenty of room to attach 6X9's under the dash facing down. If you have mats, the sound reflects of them just fine. It is how I have placed my speakers up in front.

------------------
Joe G.
ChicagoChevelle68
Any car past 1972 is just simply transportation, really!

http://pages.about.com/chicagochevelle68/Welcome.html
[email protected]
ICQ# 64752614

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took the old single speaker out of the dash. Then I cut everything out of it except for the outer frame. I took two Alpine 3 1/2s and mounted them in the old shell of the speaker. mounted up perfect and the music bounces off of the windshield great. That way you get discreet but not the sucky speakers they are trying to sell that are already pre formed. good luck.

------------------
John Coker
1967 'plain jane' Chevelle- 350/400

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took the old single speaker out of the dash. Then I cut everything out of it except for the outer frame. I took two Alpine 3 1/2s and mounted them in the old shell of the speaker. mounted up perfect and the music bounces off of the windshield great. That way you get discreet but not the sucky speakers they are trying to sell that are already pre formed. good luck.

------------------
John Coker
1967 'plain jane' Chevelle- 350/400

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dale,
Where have you been hiding? It's great to see another TCer from Colorado Springs... now we're up to 4 or 5!! Where do you live and what can you tell us about your 69? You can email me offline if you like. Sorry I can't help you much with your question, I have a 71 that someday will get new speakers and stereo, but the outside needs work first. I'll hollar at DReinecke to take a look as he was in this same position several months ago with his 68. Let's hook up soon and swap BS!

Good Luck, let me know how it turns out.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 467BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Thanks for all the responses guys. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but you guys continually outdo yourselves

Dale

P.S. Bill, I'll contact you offline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.