Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 1967 CHEVELLE MALIBU W/ 400SBC.MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I DRIVE MY VOLTAGE GAUGE DROPS BELOW CHARGE. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I SIT IN TRAFFIC FOR A LONG TIME OR HAVE MY LIGHTS ON AND WHEN I TOUCH MY BRAKES. WHEN I DRIVE MY GAUGE GOES BACK TO 13V. MY BATTERY READS 12.5 VOLTS AT REST. WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING ITS 13.84
MY ALTENATOR IS 55-60 AMPS NEW. I HAVE HAD MY CHARGING SYSTEM CHECKED NO PROBLEMS.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

THANKS
GLEN
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I THINK YOU SHOULD TURN THE CAP KEY OFF. IT'S CONSIDERED SHOUTING.
Not sure who told you the charging system is OK. 13 volts is too low of a number. 13.8 is barely an acceptable number.
If you do not have any large items added to the car such as electric fans or a blaster stereo, just change the voltage regulator.
Go to AutoZone. Buy the Wells VR715 solid state regulator for around $11.00. Disconnect the battery before installing and make sure the regulator case is grounded to the radiator core support. At idle you should measure around 14.5 volts out of the alternator large terminal.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
i agree, i had a similar problem a few months back, spent money on a new alternator, but found out all i needed was a new regulator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts