Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when swapping drum brakes to discs on the front of my 65 el camino will it widen the track. have a rubbing problem now.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Check under the brake and suspension section, and no it won't widen your track any,and the only rubbing problem might come from old style 14 inch rims that may not clear caliper. Also check under the tech reference or e-mail other questions I just did my 66 over the summer.

Whittaker

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whittaker,
I checked the sections that you suggested but found nothing to answer my question. The reason I have concern is because I did this same swap on my 66 chevy II. When I removed the drum brakes and spindles, added the the disc brake spindles the rotors stuck out 5/8 inch further on each side. Thought this may be the same for the el camino.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Done many of them. If you use the right parts you will have no problems at all. A couple of "be carefuls"-adapting the rear hard line to the proportioning valve (different size), and be sure to get the angle brackets for the rubber/hard line joint on the front-many of these are thicker on disc brake cars & you will have sloppy connections if you try to use the originals.

If you have a choice, the '71-72 master cylinder is generally cheaper, and there is only one proportioning valve (frame mounted). The '68-70 uses a proportioning valve mounted on the master, and a junction block on the frame. The later setup is a little cleaner, though both work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.