Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know the meaning or the difference of tall or short spindles. The tech reference #2 & #3 is not clear to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Brob;

I'm sorry if the articles are not real clear as far as measuring a spindle and being able to say if it's "tall" or not. If you hold one next to the other, it's real obvious. However, that doesn't answer your question. Not having them sitting around in the garage, I can't just measure them and tell you.

When GM went to the tall spindles, they moved the upper ball joint upward and toward the centerline of the car. It's due to moving it inward that the custom a-arms are recommended.

They also went to a larger disk brake size.

Wes. Vann (techref)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anybody have an eyeball measurement of the up and inward? I want to put some second generation camaro spindles on my 69. I figure some artfull welding at the upper povot bar mount will take it up and correct some chassis spread at the same time.
Harley

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have tall spindles on my 67 but I don't know where to measure. If someone can tell me what/where to measure them, I will give it a go. If someone has the short spindles, we can compare the numbers.

I also have Hotchkis upper "A" arms. The distance from the mounting shaft (I forget what its called) to the grease fitting of the ball joint (approx center), measured with a tape measure, is 9.25". The arms appear straight without any offset.

I think the change to tall spindles was in '76.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 07-04-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.