Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I bought a set of disc brakes at a swap meet. Rotors, hubs, spindles, master cylinder, the works. They are power disc's by the way. I'm into them real right, so if I cant use them, no big deal. Problem is, I cant id them! I have no clue as to what they are off of! The guy *claimed* they came off a 72 SS Chevelle. The hub assembly bolts to the rotor from the back side with 5 bolts. Its a 5 X 4 3/4 pattern, so its the small Chevy pattern. the discs are 11'' across. There are several sets of numbers on the calipers and uch, but I have no idea which ones I need to look at to find out the right info. The local parts store wanst much of a help, and the local Chevy dealer the same.

Anyone got any suggestions, or can you help me id these suckers???

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
The easiest way to id your parts is to copy down the casting numbers that should be on the calipers, then go down to the local parts store and look up a rebuilt caliper for a 72 Chevelle and see if the numbers match. I'm not sure if GM put a different casting number on the caliper for each year, but I think you get my point. You can also do the same with the wheel bearings as they also have numbers on them. Match the knuckles to to the ones on your car as the tie rods fit into the same location.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, Like I said...the parts store wasnt much help....I've got a few more to try tomorrow.

I didnt think about the wheel bearings...I'll work that angle next.

I looked at the differences between a 67 Chevelle(which is what I have) and these. The Federal Mogul book says the only difference is the outter tie rod ends. Everything else is the same. As for comparing spindles....I'm sans a 72 'velle to peek at!

Thanks for the info...something to keep me going!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.