Team Chevelle banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 68 chevelle malibu with 4 wheel manual drum brakes. I am interested in converting the front to disc. Am I better off buying a new kit? or are there any parts from other models (corvette maybe) that we could just swap out? Im willing to fork out the $700 for a new kit, but it would be nice if there was a better way.

Thanks

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
ebay is not necessarily the way to go at all. there is no ebay vendor that shows up here to help with issues guys run into and no ebay vendor helps support our site at all.

ebay cheap china junk ain't always all that wonderful and the vendors are usually MIA when problems or questions come up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am converting my 69 right now and I started with buying used original parts. I have way more into it than the kits you see and everything not new. next time I would just buy the kit.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I used a Ground Up kit on my 66. Fit fine and works great.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have done it both ways...bought all the parts I needed from here, there, and everywhere, to "save" a $ or two, and have bought the complete conversion kit, with blood, guts and feathers. From now on I will only buy the kits. Assuming the kit is bought from a reputable vendor, all the parts required will be included, and they match and make up a good system. Just do your due dilligence and try to make a wise choice on getting a good value, not just the cheapest price. Some "complete" kits are more complete than others. There still ain't no free lunch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I priced each part needed to convert my '65 Malibu to front disc on the NAPA website and found they couldn't touch the price of a packaged kit from the various vendors we have available. I recently decided on which vendor to use and when I called to make the purchase, the price quoted to me was about $45.00 more than what I was reading on their website. I asked for clarification and was told that the higher price was the eBay price as there was a fee to be paid to eBay.
The search function and a cup of coffee is your friend.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
90% of everything resto is made over seas, good stuff and bad. You can find some gr8 deals on Ebay.

Just do the research and figure out which kit you want and then find best price. that may or may not be on Ebay but Ebay should always be in the mix when shopping for parts.

ebay is not necessarily the way to go at all. there is no ebay vendor that shows up here to help with issues guys run into and no ebay vendor helps support our site at all.

ebay cheap china junk ain't always all that wonderful and the vendors are usually MIA when problems or questions come up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
oh your going manual disc...

No , I dont have that stuff . It can be found anywhere, or if you look at Pirate JAck, they have the combo starting near $160, if you go power brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well what im wanting to do is to upgrade to power brakes with disc up front. We are putting the car together for my lady and its actually my first build (with help of course). I just want to make it a safe car. I grew up on drum brakes, her...not so much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts