Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

disc brake changeover

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  flywheel 
#1 ·
I was able to locate a pair of spindles at a local wrecking yard for my 68. $100 got me the dust covers, spindles, and caliper mounts. Another $100 will get me the rotors and calipers (I thought this might be too high, so I passed to check around first). They came off of a 72 Le Mans Sport.

My question, someone already removed the master cylinder/booster, can I use my existing dual resivoir master cylinder and bolt it up to any 69-72 booster? If I pull another master cylinder/booster off, does it have to be a disk brake 69-72 A body (and how will I be able to tell if the brakes are gone)? Or can it (mc/booster) come from a power brake equipped setup? (I also noticed that there is a few different types of mc/booster designs, some have larger resivoirs, which is the one I want?)

Thanks for the help, I would not have even known that all 69-72 A body brakes would interchange if it wasn't for this site!

#2 ·
You will need to get a master cylinder from a disc brake car for sure. The booster can be disc or drum, it doesnt matter. The various designs of master cyl are mostly due to afermarket replacements. If you use a drum booster, sometimes there is a difference in booster pushrods but dont let this scare you. The thing to look for is the depth of the piston in the back of the master. One design is about 3/4 inch down in the cyl and the other only about a 1/4 inch down in. As long as they match (the piston and the booster push rod) you will not have a problem.

#4 ·
Dave, forget the rotors and calipers,go get new ones.And get new brake lines also.Like Sid said get the prop.valve also if possible or get an adj.one from Summit or Jegs.
If it will help (or work) I'm parting out an81 chevelle this week.It has power brks,if the booster will fit I can get it to you for the shipping???
I'm in KS.south of KC.
Let me know if I can help????
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.