Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the backs off of a split back bench seat? I want to replace the covers on the backs but the seat part is fine. I cannot figure out how the bar at the split that connects the two sides come apart. Can anyone help?
Btw, this is the original bench seat in a 70 Malibu.

[This message has been edited by Bob70 (edited 02-22-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I did mine on my 70. Have a few pics on my web page if you wanna see, but not of the real dissassembly.

You need to remove the slit washer on the outside arm that attaches the seat back. It is covered by a plastic piece. Push the seat forward, and the seat will slide out to the side. I pulled the entire seat out so that it could cllear the steering wheel. You should be able to do the passenger side with the seat in the car.

side view of the inner rod.

-------^-|
-------V-|

Hope you get the idea.

One tip. Remove seat frame bolts, and the seat belt anchors when you pull the seat. It's a pain to pull the belts out.

I have a lot of hardware from a parts seat if you need it.

---- This is about puling the covers, if you need it.

It really is pretty easy. If you push the seat forward, you should see a seam in the gray material on the bottom edge of the back seat. You need to cut all the hog rings you see, As you remove these, you will see how the material is folded. Take a few pictures as you dissamble the folds/hog rings.

When you get all the material loose, you should be able to pull the cover off. Go slowly and make sure you do not tear the cotton padding. Mine was really stuck to the inside of the cover. Installation goes in reverse.

Oh, before you start to put the new covers back on, check for bad springs in the lower back area. I scavenged another seat to replace mine. The new covers will need to be warm, so they can easily stretch, some silicone spray might help too.

the holes for the seat medallion, and headrests are pretty much eyeballed. Send me some mail if you want more info.

Oh, I spent $20.00 for good hog ring pliers, but cheap ones work just as well.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 02-22-99).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I get the part about removing the split washers on the outside arms of both seats. But how do you pull the backs off with the bar in the middle still attached to the seat bottoms? There is a plastic cover over the bar and I'm afraid I'll break it if I try to pop it off. This is where I'm confused.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unhook outer pivot arms from sear bottom. Pivot seat back forward and lift outside up as well. The back centre pivot is just a rod with a bit of a hook on the end, sort of like the bottom of a small "j". You do not have to take the bracket attached to the seat bottom apart.

Cheap hog ring pliers do work, but not as good as quality ones, just had to justify the $ on a one shot job.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If you pull the whole seat, you should be able to push the seat back all the way forward, then man handle the seat back to the side, away from the center. The inner rod will only come out in this position. I do not think you can do it witht the seat in the car.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.