Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very disappointed.
I want to rebuild my 72 Chevelle really bad!
I am saving money for four months now.. And i have 3500$
I have a 4dr, as must of you know.
The car stood for 5 years without moving (outside).
And when i moved it 2 months ago (i pushed it... yeah yeah. i am strong
)
It had no problems.. Brakes were working, shocks were great... I pushed her down a dirt road. It had lots of bumps on it and the car bounded nicly throught the pits.
Its in great condition for a car that didn't move for 5 years.. when i hit the brakes on the way down the car stopped right on the spot.

Now, I was told that i'll have to invest well over 10,000$ to make it right again..
Is that true??
I need a new engine... which i found one for 480$... and i already ordered a lot of exterior parts...

Will is really cost that much?
(The car is great.. minor rust on exterior parts, and almost no rust in engine bay, chassis, and under the car.

You see, we have a lot of dust here because of deserts all around... and the car was coated with dust everywhere... (That helped to prevent rust... Even the color is like new after i removed the layer of dust from the car.)

Will my budget be enough to make it drivable?
I am not talking about race-able or fast.. (yet)
I am just talking about me cruising in it...
Will 3500$ make it?

Please, people who rebuilt there car.. Please tell me how much it costed you.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi dude my 66 cost me 9.500 this also included the price of the car. If you are able to do the most of the work as i did this will save you alot glad to see you wont to save a good car
Good luck Bro
yours truly SSSSnake.

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html
Don Pell 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snake,
I want to know the price it costed you to restore it...
Plane restoration...
Without including the car's price.

My dad bought my 72 Chevelle in 82 for 300$..
Running great with the original 400...
I am not including that

My restoration so far costed me 120$..
I ordered parts, and new mag wheels.

All my floor pans, and trunk pans are in good condition.. I don't need all that.
My interior is MINT! the car wasn't open in 5 years... And the seats even look new.
All i need is under and car, and under the hood part

My exterior and interior is great!

Like i said, car had a thick layer of dust on it... it was grey untill i cleaned it and brought it back to its original blue shine.
The paint even looks new in most of the car..
Only some fading spots on hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What do you want, a mint car or a driveable car???????
You really need to be more specific here - you can make it driveable with no prob with what you have, or you can spend 30+ grand on a ground up restoration.
I spent over 9,000 without the price of the car, (2 grand) and I could maybe get 6,000 for it. I did much of the work myself (front end and suspension and engine), but I replaced everything but interior and brakes, which were good. This was my first and I learned an unbelievable amount about cars from doing it, but I would not do this again thats fo sho.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't say mint.
I said driveable for now, then i'll think about modifying it.
Are you 100% sure that i can do it with 3500$?

All i have left is to put an engine in and paint it...
I dont know about the fuel lines, pumps and all the rubber parts.. the car stood still for 5 years...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Chaos, if all you want is driveability for now, I'd think you are fine. You'll see that sooner or later you will want more. But for 3500, I think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Chaos, did you get the engine? What is it?
I got a donor for a thousand.It was a 454 truck. After I pulled the engine I sold the truck for 100 bucks just to get it out of my yard. Spent 2 grand on it so far in machine work and parts. Do you have a tranny? Do you have extra parts for the engine? Like ps pump, alternator,....
Tell us what ya got, and we'll tell ya whatcha need.
Check out my engine and that is a 3500 dollar rat. Now if you want a sb, that would save you even more.

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't get the engine yet.
But when i will (I am planning to in the next month or so), It would be a 350 SB.
I have my original 400 SB in the car, but the tranny is no good.
The engine itself did 800K miles... So you can guess its condition.
I can use the parts like carb, dist, etc.
I think... i'll have to check them first.

Stacey: I saw your car several times already..
I really like the color and the engine.
All that in 3500$?? and its a BB?
I guess i can make something out of my car

How did you get your car?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well if i factor everything in it cost me 6 grand and that was canadian money.If i had to send it out to do some work that i did it would of been a lot more.Trust me i know my way around cars

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html
Don Pell 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

·
Registered
399 Posts
Chaos, If you have a 400 SB in it I would seriously think about working with that. If you ask the guys around here I think they will tell you the same. When I got my 454 I drove the truck home and thought I had made a mistake. When I floored it, it would just lay down and die! But after a complete rebuild (with advise from your bros at TC) I got about 400 ponies. I can amagine your a little bored with the performance of your 400. But if you rebuild it and ask us about what you should put in it, I think you'll be very happy with it.
As for my car I bought it at a swap meet a year ago. It had a 350 with big compression. I wanted a BB anyway, so I sold the mouse and got a rat. Very happy!
Don't let anybody steal the 400 from ya. Unless it's cracked or completely shot, it's worth something. Later!

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
400? I thought you had said this was a 307 car? I have never heard of a small block 400 powered chevelle from the factory, must be rare.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drptop70ss..
I thought it was a 307 for a long time.
But on the license it says 6555 CC...
And when i check up the casting numbers, it was a 400.
I know its rare... Its a 1 of a kind Chevelle.
It was customize for a drag racer that had a family and wanted a 4dr that he could drag with. He pulled some strings in the factory i guess...
I am the 2nd owner.. (He sold my dad that car for 300$.. he brought it to Israel, and found out that there are no drag racing anywhere... So he sold it really cheap!)

Stacey.
I know 400 is better.
But rebuilding it will be too much for me since i am only 17.
But when i'll pull it out, I am going to save it.. One day i'll be sure to rebuild it!
It has lost of performace parts of it.. When the HP was measured 8 years ago, it was something close to 500HP....

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is what i have into the the suspension on my 70 so far cant help with motor and trans that all depends what you want.
this should cover about everything except brakes shocks u-joints and rearend parts if needed. But 3500.00 should be plenty to make it safe to drive if you do the work yourself

FRONT END REBUILD KIT 176.95
DRAG LINK 31.79
TIE ROD SLEVES 12.08
STAINLESS BRAKE LINE KIT 179.00
FRONT COIL SPRINGS 61.42
REAR COIL SPRINGS 29.63
FRONT CALIPERS 59.25
STAINLESS FUEL LINE 100.64
BACKING PLATES(BRAKES) 72.74
BODY MOUNTS 80.00
FRONT BRAKE HOSES 27.53
REAR BRAKE HOSE 24.37
REAR CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS 88.96
FRONT ROTORS 105.98
INNER WHEEL BEARINGS 12.68
OUTER WHEEL BEARINGS 9.73
BEARING SEALS 7.00
SWAY BAR BUSHINGS 6.00
SWAY BAR END KIT 12.00

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would go with the idea of rebuilding the 400. You can make it like a new engine. I saw in another post that you cant import an engine easily, but you may be able to import the internal parts a lot easier.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll do that one day..
You have to remember.. the gas here costs 4 times the price of gas in the US.
I dont know why.. but that the price. (4$ per gallon)
And the smaller the engine the less fuel i'll need...
The day will come when i'll rebuild the original engine and put the matching numbers back

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Don't sweat the money. I wish I had it too. I just had to buy a carb to replace one that was rebuilt for $250 about 3 months ago. Then, I need about $1500 for the suspension, disc swap, trans seals....the list goes on.

Get the mechanicals done, get it safe, then worry about the cosmetics.

BTW, One of these days I'll make it to Israel to visit.

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.