Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone experience this.

Your searching for a wrench and you just used it 5min ago, you go to the toolbox and dig around,nothing.
So you search around your car and all around the ground, still nothing.
So you go back to the toolbox and look AGAIN. This time you really hunt for it.
Still no luck.
Then you check a couple other places. Now its getting irritating.
You go back to the toolbox cause you've run out of places to look and then somehow the wrench just shows up and you looked their a million times.

Just curious if anyone goes through this. Because I do everytime I go and work on my car. (My toolbox isn't very big and I haven't been drinking.)

Waive

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
EVERY DAMN TIME! Especially when I'm in a hurry!

------------------

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I try to keep a good set of tools and crummy set handy just for that occasion. What really makes me mad is loosing my beer!

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I quit drinking about 7 years ago and it still happens (having tools hide from me that is)!!

The tools must think it's funny.

Heck, I don't beat on them. Maybe I should.

Wes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought it only happened to me, I swear tools just walk away sometimes. I put a leash on my beer 'cause that seem to run away never to be found.

[This message has been edited by 1bad67 (edited 02-24-99).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
thought I was the only one,glad to see I have company, spent all day changing a cam, putting tools away was missing a 9/16 wrench after a couple hours and a trunk full of beers decided to pull the intake back off, the only place I didn't look, wasn't there! believe my I tryed to look in the dist. hole with mirrors,lights, quess where it was? in my pocket! never put tools in my pockets, my wife said, that should of been the first placed I looked, I probably would of if I would of been sober, still think it was those damm tool gremlins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a customer came in for some scheduled maintenance thing, @30k, and when i popped the hood, well gollee, there was my 1x1 1/4 "snap daddy" sitting on the intake from when, as near as i could figure, i did an ac repair at 24k. made me wonder when anybody looked. gee, 6k miles that thing was just riding around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have seen fires at the race track and when the put it out they find a rag that was left on the engine. At least the sockets don't catch on fire.

Let's be carefull out there. You don'y want to burn up your car because of something that was avoidable.

Michael

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
My wife thinks I am a damn idiot when I get irritated over these kinds of things. She thinks I am the only person on the planet that gets upset when this happens. She won't believe me, so I just now had her read all of the above. She won't admit I'm right, she just got up and walked in the other room. She also doesn't say anything when I work on her 70 conv, just when I work on my cars! It's OK to yell when HER car busts my knuckles. Also, she will fetch and get me a coke when I am working on her car. Man you should have seen her when I was building the new sb400 for it. When I'm working on my cars,-------------where is everybody?

------------------

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Has anyone experienced Newton's fourth law of motion? That's the one that states that any tool dropped while working on your car must fall beneath the car and come to rest at the exact physical center of the car so that you must get on your stomach and crawl on the ground to retrieve it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know the problem very well. You can never have enough 9/16, 1/2 sockets or combo. wrenches. When one walks off, I just go get another one.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've had a couple experiences leaving wrenches under the hood - one funny and one pretty scary. The funny one was making a left turn on to a freeway ramp in my '68 and hearing this familiar "ting-ting-ting" sound fading. After about 10 seconds - too late to pull over or turn back - I realized that I just lost my 1/2 in. Craftsman open end wrench that I had left under the hood. Luckily, I stopped back after work and there it was at the side of the ramp.

The scary event was pulling out of a parking lot and on to the highway in my '69, getting on it a little, and then having the steering lock up on me. I managed to slow her down and pull over just in time. This time, it was my 3/8 in. Snap-on ratchet that I left under the hood. It got wedged against the steering column and locked it up. I could have shot myself after that one.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
548 Posts
The big problem I have is keeping a 16 yr old kid out of my tools never puts any thing back.If he does he never puts it where it should be so I think its lost and go looking where he used it last,time wasted its in the tool box he says,when I do find it it's in the wrong drawer. So for Christmas he got hes own tool box, sockets,and box ends so far so good.We'll see how long it lasts.I have the same problem as everyone else don't need help...FRED

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Common occurence. Little known fact is that the little gnomes that hide your keys, glasses etc. also hide your tools and steal just one sock out of your dryer.
kevin d

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm really glad that all of you guys are just like me - too bad for you. I always experience Newton's Fourth Law as Randy puts it. I was however the beneficiary of several S/K tools when after about two weeks of trying to figure out what those little clicks were every time my 71 came to a stop. After tightening every bolt on my front clip - and it still clicking - I pulled the left fender extensions off and found 3 deep sockets, a 3-inch extension and a 3/8-inch ratchet. They were stuck between the extension and the core support. Feeling good I put it back together but still had the clicks. Pulled the right extension and found 2 screwdrivers and some pliers. I even thought about pulling off the fenders to see if I could find a torque wrench.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 02-25-99).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kevin,

That is one magical car you have there, what with tools propagating inside your front clip. Too bad it doesn't produce money in the glove box. Instead, it sucks money through the tank!

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 02-25-99).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Randy's comment about Newton's fourth law makes me think that there may also be a fifth (unwritten) law.

Most of the time I wear glasses and it seems that when working under the car, anything that drips will go straight for the eye. Even if looking straight up (when you think the drip would hit your glasses), the drip will go around the glass, then into your eye.

Is it a "high gravity value" type thing?

Wes. Vann

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
My tools are always getting lost because I "hide them from myself". I seem to put them in the damndest places because I sit them down wherever convenient when looking for something else that's lost. Keep swearing not to do that again, but do anyway. I don't lose track of beers very often because they don't last long enough to get lost. von

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, tools definitely disappear. If you watch closely from the corner of your eye, you can see the little gremlins that take them and later bring them back. Errrr - perhaps it's the beer !

------------------

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.