Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put a dipstick tube in a 400 (the one the goes into the block).

I have two used out of both 400. I thought I broke my other one. so I tapped another one out of another block to use. (but their both the same)

Anyways, I should have measured how far it was sticking out. What is the proper way to reinstall one of these? How deep down does it go into the hole? Any sealer? loctite?

Also is it ok that I am using a used one? I cant find a seperate tube to buy..

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I found this quite helpful.(Got it from Summit Racing) The dipstick seats in the block and is O-ring sealed. If I need to drop the headers for tranny work, or pull the engine, it's one less PITA to have to deal with. Just pull the dipstick.(No tube in the way)The only catch is checking the oil when the engine is hot.

Billet aluminum conducts heat real well.

Here's a pic.
http://www.finitesite.com/markwallas/header4.jpg

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
he is talking about the guide

i have a brass tapered drift that i bought and i just tap it in there with the drift without a hammer

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I think about it. It probably doesnt matter how deep it goes? Just as long as its tight in their. ?

Thanks

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Now that I think about it. It probably doesnt matter how deep it goes? Just as long as its tight in their. ?

Thanks
It will stop by itself and it will go in the proper depth, just tap it in with a brass drift, you will be OK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts