Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a '70 and am having trouble with the volts stayin up at idle. They stay up around 14-14.3 while driving but as soon as i let it idle(at around 750rpm) the volts drop to around 13-13.5 and if my lights are on they dim even more than normal-please let me know if im just an idiot or if theres a simple fix to this problem-even if i cant get the volts to jump up is there a way to get the lights to not dim so much-thanks

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Change your voltage regulator. Best and cheapest way to go is buy a Wells solid state regulator. Part number VR715. Available at places like AutoZone for around $12.00. These are a drop-in fit. No cutting or drilling. Be sure to disconnect the battery before installing. Make sure its case is grounded good to the radiator core support.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Change your voltage regulator. Best and cheapest way to go is buy a Wells solid state regulator. Part number VR715. Available at places like AutoZone for around $12.00. These are a drop-in fit. No cutting or drilling. Be sure to disconnect the battery before installing. Make sure its case is grounded good to the radiator core support. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey John, with all the times we've recommended this regulator, we should get a royalty check from Wells, huh? (actually I get one each time...just haven't told ya. Sorry.)

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
598,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
Hey John, with all the times we've recommended this regulator, we should get a royalty check from Wells, huh? (actually I get one each time...just haven't told ya. Sorry.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last couple of times I talked to them they didn't mention your name. Actually they improved their instructions due to input from this site.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jodysss396:
Will this work on a 69? Mine does the same thing.
Jody

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will fit any year from 64 to 72.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts