Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted a bunch of times, but...
At idle the volts off the back of my 80 amp one wire alt are too low, around 11 with no lights or acc.
How do I fix this?? Getting tired of the stero cutting out when at idle with headlights on and i operate the power windows.

Daniel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the march serpintine pulleys. could my alt. pulley be the wrong size?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Who's 1 wire alternator are you using and can it be set up as a 3 wire? Not a lover of 1 wire set-ups.

·
Registered
723 Posts
go to www.madelectric.com and read up on one wire vs. three wire alternator, and read about remote voltage sensing. I suggest you convert to 3 wire alternator and sense your voltage with a 12 gauge wire at the your junction block where all your accessories,etc draw power from. It will explain this. Also upgrade your alternating charge wire to 8 guage if you haven't already. Much heavier than stock 10 gauge.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I run a Powermaster alternator.

Ran it in "one-wire" mode for about three years. Then switched it to "three-wire" with remote voltage sensing. The difference is like night and day. No more dimming lights or other evidence of voltage drops when I increase the load on the alternator.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it fixed! The issue was the alt pully. When going to the power saving system from march the crank pully was smaller but the alt ully stayed stock. I ordered up the small 1.5 in pully and now volts are staying at 14.
So nice to not have to jump the thing all the time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts