Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash lights all look dim. The spedometer is allright but the fuel gauge and clock arent lit well at all, I can barely see them at night. I have the idiot light gauges. What all can I do to fix this? Replace the bulbs? clean the lenses?
Thanks,

------------------
Ryan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same problem. What I did was pull off the dash, clean the gauge cluster and lenses, reinstall them and put in all new light bulbs. It makes a world of difference, you can actually read the gauges nicely! While I had the dash out I painted it and detailed it, and if you do that, you might want to replace the dash insulation, i forgot to and i regret it.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ryan - If you know how to remove the dash pad (just the top padded part) you're half way there. If not, ask and we'll talk you through it. It's a good idea to change all the bulbs. They're cheap and you wouldn't want to replace just one or two and then have another one burn out a week later. Just a quarter turn and they pull straight out. Just be careful not to hook the printed circuit with the contacts on the bulb.

Nathan - Just curious, what makes you regret not having the dash insulation in there? I removed mine and haven't missed it.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Barista-

I regret not having the insulation because it helped quiet the motor a little (which is OK by me because i like to talk to my passengers;) and it blocks out some of the wind noise, which i hate. The other reason is because it was a pain doing the removing(i have factory A/C) i don't want to do it again.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Just a little preventative maintenance while you're standing on your head replacing bulbs & cleaning---- double check your ground straps that go to the instrument cluster & replace them or definately clean the screw connections at both ends. It will help the long term performance of the dash lights. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by odie (edited 10-17-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts